VW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone please tell me if its possible to put 215/40 17 on a 98 Jetta VR6, instead of the 205/40 17 that I've been told is the largest that will fit on there because of the clearance to the rear fenders. Please let me know..

·
Registered
175 Posts
depends on how low you are sitting. mine has plenty of clearance for wider tires which will happen on new set. im on 205s right now with 2.5" front drop and 1.5" rear drop.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I can gurantee you it will fit as long as it isn't lowered. But I would listen to Whiteboy since he owns one that is lowered.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I did forget to mention that I lowered it using the H&R cup kit, which lowers 2.0 in front and 1.7 in rear. I really would prefer the wider 215's, but some local shop also said that I would need a fender roll to make the room. I don't really know if I should go that far. I'll probably just order one rim and tire mounted with the 215, and if it doesnt fit I could just exchange that one tire instead of 4.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more thing, what do you guys think about these wheels, which would you get: ASA FR1, or the Racing Hart C-5.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I think you might be able to squeeze the 215 in. Keep in mind the wider the tire the less fuel economy you get. Also your top speed (like it matters) decreases vs. increase in traction.

Also worth mentioning sometimes when you put much wider tire then the car's stock, you might over-power your power steering pump.

As per the wheels, they all sounds nice but show us some specific models of these companies so that we could give you a better opinion.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I know some people don't like 5 stars, but I still do.

My choice would be the last rim of the RHart Z5000 I think. Then the ASA then the rest.

Here is the deal. Choose what you like. When I was buying my clear tailights, I had one guy holding the smoked clear and the other guy holding the white clear. A bunch of guys were walking by and screamed choose the smoked, the dealers said see get the smoked ones... THAT SECOND I SAID... I WANT WHITE CLEARS...

Since then most people are telling me that it looks sick.

PS: Don't mind my rims, these are stock that I put on for winter. Ironically, my neighbor takes his stock ones off for winter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help. You picked the same wheels I picked, so I guess they are the better choice. I'm gonna use the 215's, if they don't clear I'll figure something out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Whiteboy,

Do you have any closeup photos of your wheel and tire setup? I'd like to see what the 205/40/17 looks like. I've got 215/35/18's on my '98 and have plenty of room although I'm not lowered yet. I'm concerned about road rallying with such a large wheel. They ride fine (even on Michigan roads), but there is hardly a sidewall and my fear is if I push it too hard around a corner, I'll destroy the wheel.

Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't have any pics of the 205's, thats what I was trying to decide, which ones to get. Right now I have the factory 15's, and they're pretty darn close to the fender (w/205/50R15).

·
Registered
175 Posts
i have some close ups but they arent hosted yet and i need to size them down. will post them up soon though!

·
Registered
175 Posts

here it is finally,hope it helps!

here is the link also
[ January 13, 2003: Message edited by: whiteboy2.0 ]
web page

[ January 13, 2003: Message edited by: whiteboy2.0 ]

·
Registered
175 Posts
sorry, stupid host!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I finally bought my wheels. I got the ABT Z3's. I think they look pretty good and I got a good deal on them also. I'm still fighting the tire issue though..

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
just saw this post. i have asa's i love em. im runnin 225/45/17. abts are awesome good choice. i say you go 215/45/17. 215 is right in the middle and 45 is low pro but not so much youll bend yoru rim on every bump. just my .02
rich

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's actually what I was thinking about, the 45's. I was considering 215/45R17's instead of 215/40's because of the bump factor. I wouldn't want to bend my rim everytime I hit a bump, and there's a lot of those where I'm at. But on my 98 VR6 I would already be cutting it close with the 215/40R17's, so I dont know if I could get away with the 45's. It would be nice though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts