VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 415 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since my slave cylinder gave up on me and I had the VR6 on the lift already I decided to go all in and install a stage 2 turbo setup while I was there.

Helpful info, tips, pointing errors out - are all welcome and needed. I've never gone this far mechanically, so I'm sure I'll need a lot of help along the way. Hopefully this helps a few peeps boost their 24v!

I found this car on an online auction network when I sold my 1.8T. I started seriously looking around for about 2 weeks and I randomly spotted this collision write off 24v VR6 Golf. Long story short, the final bid ended up being $850 and when all was said and done after repairs to bring it to stock I spent roughly $4700. (and btw it sat in a wrecking yard for nearly 2 years - and after hooking up a new battery it fired right up - hhhheeelllllll yyyyeeeeaaaaa)

Basically the initial damage was on the front driver's side corner - all the suspension + control arm etc had to be replaced, frame had to be straightened a tad, plus a new fender + bumper and a bunch of other little things. (I'll try to find pics of it all mangled when I first got it :eek:)

Today I started off disassembling the engine. This is what I started off with (minus the battery):

Then I removed the headlights, grille, bowden (hood) cable, and front bumper cover to release the service carrier:

I'll probably be welding together the new 42DD 3" exhaust soon (to install v-bands) so here's a shot of the old 2.5" magnaflow catback:

Removed the throttle body and detached all vacuum hoses around the intake manifold:

Slid the service carrier forward to get the long runner intake manifold out and disconnected + removed coil packs:

And that's it for today. Tomorrow hopefully I'll drop the trans and install the new oil pan w/ -10an oil return.

·
Registered
353 Posts
any plans for that magnaflow catback?

i drive an automatic (i know.. trust me.. i regret it too) so a more conservative exhaust like that could work out for me.

Great progress btw. loving all the pictures. I'll be watching, can't wait to see how it all turns out.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
any plans for that magnaflow catback?
Nope, if you want it PM me. You'll need new gaskets tho.

Good size, Should be interesting. Any bay cleanup in the works?
I know in the VW world a clean bay is like a law that can't be broken but I build my cars to drive em hard, and they're gonna get dirty. For sure while I'm in there I'll clean it up a bit but by no means is this a show car. I never was too much into the show side of VW (I'm more of a go fast guy), although I definitely do appreciate a nice bay. Maybe when it's done and I'm bored and I have a few extra dollars I'll dress it up a bit.

Good call, I guess I just assumed he would be using one to lower the compression for the turbo.
I'm going to be the oddball this time around and run stock compression. 300+ hp is more than enough for a really fun daily, and when I drop compression next summer I'm going to grab JE pistons instead of a spacer. (Gotta save some funds first, I'm totally tapped out now.) Also I JUST replaced the timing chains / clutch so I'm pissed off as it is having to remove the tranny again to replace my slave cylinder.... I don't wanna take the head off again after I just did it (I didn't have all my turbo parts while I was replacing the chains, and I needed the car as it's my only car and daily so i had to get it running asap). 300+ is plenty - for now (until this turns into toy and not a daily).

Why pistons? Because when I'm in there I'll install new forged rods, ARP bolts, and prolly bore to 2.9 while I rebuild the low end. Pistons are apparently the "proper" way to drop compression, ESPECIALLY with higher mileage motors (I've got 200,750 km on the odometer). My motor has been through a LOT... remember it was written off and left for dead..... so I feel if I push it without looking after it properly it'll be a money pit with all the repairs I'll need. I've seen it over and over again (I work in a Audi / VW body shop, hence the lift).

I did a few things today but not as much as I would have liked... bloody customer after customer came in and interrupted me. I'll post some progress later.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't get much done today... I was too busy at work :(

Removed the exhaust up to the dp / cat:

Disconnected drive axles from tranny: (had to find a M10 bit / driver, but the bolts came out easy)

And I got this ready for tomorrow (hopefully):

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
FINALLY we have 2 builds going on simultaniously!?

o5gti with his big Turbo / stroker 1.8t

and this one with the vrt!?

is this really vwforuM!?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FINALLY we have 2 builds going on simultaniously!?

o5gti with his big Turbo / stroker 1.8t

and this one with the vrt!?

is this really vwforuM!?
hell yeah dude... it's a good forum. No bs, no egos - just people willing to help and with a good attitude. I know that's why I'm here.

Anyway... got a bit of work done today but it's my bro's bday so had to call it short and go chill at a BBQ for him.

Removed the oil pan:

Took out my BFI stage 1 dogone (right after I frikkin installed it... ugh I'm gonna piss all over that slave cylinder when I finally get it out)

Removed the heat shield and started to unbolt the downpipe (only like 3 manifold bolts came out but most stayed in... surprised me):

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Nope, if you want it PM me. You'll need new gaskets tho.

I know in the VW world a clean bay is like a law that can't be broken but I build my cars to drive em hard, and they're gonna get dirty. For sure while I'm in there I'll clean it up a bit but by no means is this a show car. I never was too much into the show side of VW (I'm more of a go fast guy), although I definitely do appreciate a nice bay. Maybe when it's done and I'm bored and I have a few extra dollars I'll dress it up a bit.

I'm going to be the oddball this time around and run stock compression. 300+ hp is more than enough for a really fun daily, and when I drop compression next summer I'm going to grab JE pistons instead of a spacer. (Gotta save some funds first, I'm totally tapped out now.) Also I JUST replaced the timing chains / clutch so I'm pissed off as it is having to remove the tranny again to replace my slave cylinder.... I don't wanna take the head off again after I just did it (I didn't have all my turbo parts while I was replacing the chains, and I needed the car as it's my only car and daily so i had to get it running asap). 300+ is plenty - for now (until this turns into toy and not a daily).

Why pistons? Because when I'm in there I'll install new forged rods, ARP bolts, and prolly bore to 2.9 while I rebuild the low end. Pistons are apparently the "proper" way to drop compression, ESPECIALLY with higher mileage motors (I've got 200,750 km on the odometer). My motor has been through a LOT... remember it was written off and left for dead..... so I feel if I push it without looking after it properly it'll be a money pit with all the repairs I'll need. I've seen it over and over again (I work in a Audi / VW body shop, hence the lift).

I did a few things today but not as much as I would have liked... bloody customer after customer came in and interrupted me. I'll post some progress later.
A lower compression head gasket spacer is a lot less expensive than buying a new motor because there's a giant hole in your lower end...or rebuilding a head. Just my 2 cents...you can have it two of three ways; fast, cheap, and reliable...only TWO

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
dude seriously.. buy the head gasket spacer..

its only a few bucks.. and your already pretty much at it. just buy a spacer and a gasket.. its not that big of a deal.

i have to agree with cody.. but it might not be a bad idea to do the internals right off the bat.. OR. if you dont have the coin.. buy a manual boost controller and turn the boost down to like 5 pounds until you have enough funds to build the bottom end.. IMO. but if u start running higher pounds.. you most likely will blow the motor.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Believe me I wrestled with this in my mind over and over. Yah, if I turned the boost up to 18 pounds I'd probably fire a piston right through the block, but that's not my intention.

United Motorsport (aka Jeff Atwood - probably one of the best / most experienced 24v tuners out there) tuned my ECU, and they say it's good for 7 lbs reliably on stock compression, with the option of going to 9 lbs max max. With 3" pipes they say I should pull around 330 whp @ 7 psi. My goal was a reliable 300+ hp, so that fits.

I get what you guys are saying but I know more than a few 12v's with supercharger setups running 5-7 lbs and stock compression with absolutely no problems. I also know of a dude on the vortex that has run stock compression with 300+ hp for a while now with no probs either. My main phobia is that the motor will blow if I drop compression to turn up the boost - without paying proper attention to the bottom end. I also grabbed a short runner because I didn't want to risk the stock manifold busting open with all the trauma that the motor's been through.

It was a tough decision but I have my mind set on building the bottom end before I turn the boost up over 10 psi. After 400-420-ish HP the stock pistons / rings crack anyway after repeated hard runs. Nevermind the drive shafts, they'll probably be the first to go at that HP. Also over 350-ish it's prolly gonna be hard to put the power down without a LSD. I don't wanna go crazy (sorry guys!) as it's my daily. Next year.... maybe ;)

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
I had an awesome rant typed up telling you how it really sounds like you are completely unprepared for turbo charging a naturally aspirated car, but Windows automatic updates fucked me over and restarted my computer halfway through, so all I can say is good luck and stop asking for opinions on something you refuse to take good, sound advice for. Hopefully there aren't burnt up heads or blow bottom ends anytime in your near future.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I had an awesome rant typed up telling you how it really sounds like you are completely unprepared for turbo charging a naturally aspirated car, but Windows automatic updates fucked me over and restarted my computer halfway through, so all I can say is good luck and stop asking for opinions on something you refuse to take good, sound advice for. Hopefully there aren't burnt up heads or blow bottom ends anytime in your near future.
Nahh dude you got me all wrong. Maybe I came across wrong too. I value everyone's input, I wasn't trying to attack anybody.

And yeah I second Windows being stupid, I switched to mac a lil while ago and I love it :K:

Please - I know it's a hassle but explain. What's your reasoning?

I'm basically coming from a place where I need to be sure my motor will hold up because it went through a big impact, so that's why I'm not pushing it. And when I do, I plan on pistons, new rods, new bolts, new rings, yadadada. Lower compression allows for higher boost no? Stock compression shouldn't backfire or lean out @ 6-9 psi, as per my research and understanding. But by no means do I think I know everything believe me, so please - let me know your thoughts.

Keep in mind right now I have to err on the side of reliability moreso than big numbers, as it's still a daily.

1 - 20 of 415 Posts