VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok long story short just got a free 3 inch downpipe(ebay though)...
Ok now for the and then what lol...
What I mean is should I go ahead and build a custom turboback? I ask because I am already running a 2.5 magnaflow catback exhaust dual tips. This are the plans so far install 3 inch downpipe delete catback and resonator with 2.5 straight pipe to magnaflow muffler with dual tips which are already on car. what do you guys think?
But what I really want is that nice turbo (subaru sound) whistle. Ive been going through some youtube vids, vortex threads and do you guys think its a good idea to just do 3 inch downpipe to 2.5 piping all the way (muffler delete and tips too) like this guy

Also keep in mind I will definitely go revo stage 2 right after oh and will also be upgrading side mount intercooler (free too :cool: but ebay :rolleyes:)

Basically what im asking you guys if you had the chance to build custom turboback what route would you go with?

any opinions appreciated thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
if you want the turbo to whistle the most, a straight pipe would be best from the downpipe. the whistle will be heard even upon the smallest fluxuation in rpms. BUT, straightpipes sound like shit, so i would not advise that route.

3inch catback will give the turbo a bit more sound than a 2.5 would. resonators removed kinda sounds bad too. put it this way, the less restrictions in the exhaust, the more spool. the less restrictions, the more shitty exhaust leak sound (to an extent.)

ideally, i would do 3 inch downpipe (no cat), and a 3 inch catback exhaust. your turbo will be loud enough. removing cats, resonators, etc will create more whistle, but can also start to sound cheaper.

sadly, these cars will never sound like those meeean subaru boxer engines.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
beware of the ebay DP by the way. the welds will probably crack and result in exhaust leaks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback guys definitely second thinking that tractor sound lol
So 3 inch dp to 2.5 straightipe to muffler??
What would be best set up for performance gains?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
3 inch all the way through. most sound but still tamed.

2.5 would probably be best for the stock turbo, but a negligible difference from 3 inch. i dont like the idea of 3 in --> 2.5 inch. it just doesnt make sense. like bottlenecking the exhaust flow.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The 3" ebay exhaust kits aren't too bad for the price, picked up mine for 160 shipped and was quite happy with the sound.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
3" dp to 2.5" reducer to 2.5" cat back no resonator to muffler.
OR
3" all the way.
no resonator. keep muffler. cat is optional.

old video.. is old.

BUT heres my exhaust.
2.5" downpipe. gutted high flow cat (easier to pass inspection with it gutted then a test pipe in pa even though its essentially the same), to deleted resonator, magnaflow dual tip muffler.
im also currently a k04 with united stage 2 software, with forge splitter dv, and eurojet race fmic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnQHdWIPboY

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Use the muffler. Just get the 3in - 2.5in. adapter. 3in. Is obnoxious but kinda fun .

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
3 inch fun??? why so?? lol

definitely leaning over this 3 inch all the way and keep muffler :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very true fubar considering it and I can do that my self too right?
Dam thanks for all the feed back

1 - 12 of 12 Posts