VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! So I just got my Votex bumpers from ECS (along with some other misc stuff). I also picked up some 3M vinyl, as I've always wanted to try and wrap my car.

Does anyone know if I can skip the body shop (to paint teh new bumpers) and just wrap them with the vinyl over the original primer? I just had a lot of work done and if I can skip the bumper paint it would help my turbo build funding. How will it hold up? Will I need RM 94 adhesive promoter because it's not on paint? If wrapping over primer is ok I'd also like to delete the side mouldings and smooth up a boser extension on the hood.

Any info is appreciated!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's just a short term solution to change the colour with the new kit.... my priority is the turbo right now so my savings are already gonezo :(

next season I plan on a nice pearl white.... haven't decided yet which - just can't deal with the standard reflex silver anymore!!!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
id imagine you wouldnt have a problem with the vinyl sticking to the primer. just make sure wherever the vinyl goes you have it completely dewaxed and as clean as you can possibly get it

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep I already have a piece about 2inch x 2inch stuck on the front bumper.... and it seems to be holding well. I just wanted to know if 3M vinyl was ever meant to go on just primer alone - cuz if not it probably wouldn't last long

The shop I got the wrap from didn't know 100% so they're no help either.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'd call 3M customer service directly, they are good people and will probably have the answers that you need.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
u kno what the people here usually have allll the answers and are really helpful so I thought I'd ask :)

ur right though 3M was good people. they put me on hold for like 5 mins and the answer was:

Di-Noc can adhere to any primered surface, including bare primer without top coats or clear coats. The rep did recommend spraying an adhesive promoter for any curves (like the bumper) just to make sure everything stays in place.

Just FYI:

The only bare surface he would try Di-Noc wrap with would be bare metal, but he said he'd still feel better if there was primer on top (more pores / grooves to grab on to). Other than that he recommended primer and / or paint for fiberglass, PU-RIM, urethane etc.

Also I've had a small piece on the bumper for a day now and I can't peel it off with just my fingers. After work I'm gonna hit it with a heat gun and see how it comes off.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
an adhesion promoter is what is normally sprayed on plastic bumper covers before theyre painted. its called bulldog. idk if id spray it over something to put a vinyl on though cause when you spray it on it looks like if you spray the first coat of clear too dry on a car

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here you go....

part that worries me the most about the process.. besides the obvious curves i.e. bumpers... would have to be the length of the roll.. has to be long enough to run from the end of the front fenders to the rear bumper... other than that should be a piece of cake..

Ive wanted to do this for the longest time and when i almost had enough cash saved up my car got wrecked and used all the funds on another MKIV..

Good luck and if you can pull it off show us some pix..

Shouldn't cost you more than 600 to buy all the rolls and a few days of wrapping.. I know it can last up to 3 years done properly and you can always remove and paint or re-vinyl!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts