VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying the Passat 1.9TDI 130Ch Carat and was wondering whether I should buy it with 4 Motion or a Tiptronic gearbox.

the car will spend 70% of it's time on short trips in town (20-30km /day) and the rest of it time on the autoroute and small country roads.

To be honest, I'm tilting towards the Tiptronic as I don't see that I will really get a chance to explpoit the 4 Motion in town or on the motorway.

I like being able to control what gear I am in and play with the revs and was wondering if the Tiptronic will impede me in doing so.

So a long story cut short - Tiptronic or 4 Motion and why?

TIA for all your opinions.

Cheers,

A.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tiptronic:
I'm looking at buying the Passat 1.9TDI 130Ch Carat and was wondering whether I should buy it with 4 Motion or a Tiptronic gearbox.

the car will spend 70% of it's time on short trips in town (20-30km /day) and the rest of it time on the autoroute and small country roads.

To be honest, I'm tilting towards the Tiptronic as I don't see that I will really get a chance to explpoit the 4 Motion in town or on the motorway.

I like being able to control what gear I am in and play with the revs and was wondering if the Tiptronic will impede me in doing so.

So a long story cut short - Tiptronic or 4 Motion and why?

TIA for all your opinions.

Cheers,

A.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It seems you might be a little confused. 4-motion is not a type of transmission. 4-motion is Volkswagens all-wheel-drive system
(just like Audi has Quattro)If you get a passat that has 4-motion most likely it would have a triptronic transmission

Triptronic is nice but shifts a bit slower than a manual

Hope this helps!!!

[ July 31, 2003: Message edited by: B5 TURBO ]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
B5,

Thanks for the reply. I know that the 4-Motion is a 4WD and that was really part of the question. I don't really see a chance for me to fully exploit 4WD given that the car will really be a city dweller. Yes 4WD will hold the route better but the "Carat" already has a sports suspension and ESP as standard and that will "hopefull" help eliminate the sloppy handling (wallows/rolls) of the non Sports suspension model I took for a test drive.

Now if I understand it correctly, the manual shift part of the Tiptronic is 5 speed. If that is the case, the model I test drove was also a 5 speed (manual) and I really felt it needed the sixth gear when cruising at around 80-90mph on the motorway to kill some of the engine noise due to the slightly higher revs.

Unfortunately for us in France it's a 1.9Tdi 4-Motion or 1.9Tdi Tiptronic. The option to have both only exists in the 2.5 V6 Tdi offering.

Having AWD when you are on a motorway or running at 30mph in town does seem to be a waste of having AWD.

Is it the same with the Tiptronic as with the manual (stick shift) that < 200RPM it's sluggish but > 2000RPM it takes off?

Sooo. Is it to be a 1.9Tdi 4-Motion for a city dweller or a Tiptronic?

If I was young free and single my auto choice would have been so much easier :)

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Is it the same with the Tiptronic as with the manual (stick shift) that < 200RPM it's sluggish but > 2000RPM it takes off?

Sooo. Is it to be a 1.9Tdi 4-Motion for a city dweller or a Tiptronic?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Firstly, yes under 2000rpm in any transmission is sluggish (except 1st). I think you should go for the non 4MOTION, and have the tiptronic tranny. When you stuck in traffic its always nice try put it in auto drive.

·
Registered
161 Posts
can some one explain to me what tiptronics is. i know what 4motion is. its vw's all wheel drive. i just dunno what tiptronics is......???????

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GTI,

Is the manual part of the Tip 5 speed or 6 speed?

Gert,

Agree about the safety part but what about the practical aspect of it for a city dweller? Isn't fuel consumption and tyre wear a little higher with the 4-Motion?

BTW.. Replies so far much appreciated.

A.

·
Registered
777 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VR6PWR:
can some one explain to me what tiptronics is. i know what 4motion is. its vw's all wheel drive. i just dunno what tiptronics is......???????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

tiptronic is "the stickshift of automatics" you can slide the auto-gearshift over into an extra channel and bump the shifter forward to shift up and backwards to shift down, then it springs back to the middle so you can "bump" it again.....

i think i explained it pretty well... but i know what im talking about... if you dont get what im saying i gan get a picture or something! (not joking)

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Is the manual part of the Tip 5 speed or 6 speed?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For the model engine that you are looking at, the 1.9 TDi, I'm pretty sure its a 5 speed. If you got a V6 or a 1.8T i think it is a 6 speed though.

Tiptronic allows you to shift manually like Midnight said, but there is no clutch. You can choose to shift the gears or let the transmission shift for you, just like an auto.

[ August 01, 2003: Message edited by: GTIboarder ]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like it's going to be the Tiptronic that I take.
I read that you lose a good 6/7cm of depth in the boot and that the rear seats are also not foldable if you have 4-Motion.

Anyone ever driven a manual 6 speed and a 5 speed tiptronic? Would be nice to hear your comments on both and which you preferred.

Thanks,

A.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts