VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
My car is due for a 40K tune up and today I started hearing sounds when I hit the breaks from the rear wheel. I suspect caliper is sticking, I may have a bigger problem if I do not take care of it quickly I guess.
I own a 2000 Passat Station Wagon GLX.
What is the approximate cost for the 40K mile tune up and do you think they will take care of the break problem(replace whatever is necessary) for free?
Final thing, Can you recommend me a good VW service in Hoboken, Edgewater or Jersey City Area.
I tried Three County VW in Lyndhurst,NJ not happy with them and I do not wanna get upset about the service again.
Please advise, Have a nice day everyone,

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
I believe the 40k is something like $350 or something outrageous like that. You're better off doing some of the work yourself (Plugs, wires, air filter etc) and saving yourself some of the money. Or even bring it to a mechanic that specializes in VWs, but the dealership will overcharge you by a LOT. As far as the rear brakes, I know a lot of people have had problems with needing new rear brakes before front ones, so are you sure your pads aren't just low? I had that problem. As far as dealerships in NJ go, I can't really help you. I am coming going to Edgewater this weekend though with my girlfriend (She lives in Ramsey).

Hope I helped!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
in nj, id say go to burlington vw, 2k1wolfsburg seems to like it. dont go to cherry hill imports, not very cool there. i need my 40k also, anyone know what is exactly included?

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
The cost will depend on what will be done.I would ask a couple of questions first .See what it involves.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
I asked at the dealership and it's just regular tune up type of stuff. Plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filer, timing, oil, etc. A lot of that you can do on your own, or get nicer stuff. You could get Neuspeed wires, you already have the K&N, so I would do as much as you can on your own. ALthough I don't think it's quite as much for the 2.0

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I just found out that my right rear caliper is sticking. I got my exhaust fixed and when i drove away, i noticed it was difficult to move. I figured the brake must be jammed so i turned back to the garage and found my rear right brake to be smoking!! They put it on the lift, and just bent the clip back. It has happened before with my left rear caliper too. They are pretty shit so i will be replacing them within a few weeks, i cant even use my e-brake. Cant park on hills, i just rolled into my friends car on his driveway with my car even in gear.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had this problem happen to me last fall at approximately 35k miles with the brakes. Mine was the rear driver's side. I let it go about a week and ruined the rotor, so i had both back brakes replaced at around $250.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts