VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently came into some money 5,000 to be excact. I have a 2003 gti 1.8t and i'm not sure what to spend it on. I know i could get the apr stage 3 kit but i only have 8,000 miles on my car and i'm not trying to void my warranty yet. Do u guys think i sould get everything eles before the stage 3? A list of a "few" things: Chip,Exaust,Downpipe,Turbo inlet pipe,Dog bone engine mounts, short shifter, possibly a oetinger oil cooler,fuel pump, fuel injecters and thats about all i can think off. Do u guys or gals think i left anything out? Would a lsd be good to get?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Some of those things could possibly void the warranty I think- why not spend that 5 grand on a project car so you can keep your warranty? Just an idea - I'll let others chime on on the warranty stuff. I think if they know you've chipped it the warranty is voided though...

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
I know what you mean about your warranty. Would you jump at a stg 3 upgrade if your car had 20K miles, 30K? Your warranty, I believe, has 5yr 60K mile coverage. Are you willing to wait until then to upgrade?

Option 1: Throw the 5K in the bank and wait.

Option 2: F the warraty and get it now.

Option 3: Spend some of the money now to get mods that can be used with a Stg 3 kit. Save the balance of the money until you have the 4K+ again for the stg 3.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EastCoastDubz420:
what are some of the things i could get now to go with the stage 3 kit?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definitely suspension work. Engine Mounts will need to be upgraded. A chip upgrade that will allow you to play with stg 3 hardware. I'd advise you to visit www.20vturbo.com www.club18t.com and the performance section of the vortex for more information. BigDong is a moderator at 20v so you won't get too much BS advice.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Sounds like your all about engine? Not intrested in exterior? Spring/Struts, Strut braces, Sway Bars, body kits, E codes...

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm mostly all about engine but i will defentaly do some body work. Front lip,Rear Valance,Side skirts,Black housing lights,Kamie grill,Sparco seats.Shaved hatch

The downpipe has to be welded to the excaust right? So do i have to get the same size excaust as the downpipe? Will i throw any codes with any of the proformance parts i get?

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EastCoastDubz420:
...The downpipe has to be welded to the excaust right? So do i have to get the same size excaust as the downpipe? Will i throw any codes with any of the proformance parts i get?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, it doesnt have to be welded. There are adapters that match dp and cb of different sizes. There are exceptions of course.

As far as throwing codes, it really depends on the quality/installation of the parts. Personally, I have a Milltek 2.5" turbo-back setup for about 5 months or so and I've yet to throw a code.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
It's definitely a good idea to do your suspension too. One of VW's downfalls is their handling. Due to their heavy weights, they have a lot of body roll. If you want to keep it stock looking, or if you are all about performance and not looks, go for shine racing springs. If you want it to be lowered a little, go with H&R or Eibach springs. I would go with Bilstein shocks for any of those springs.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
The exclusive distributor of Milltek Sport exhaust systems in the United States is Stratmosphere. When I ordered my Milltek from them over a year ago, they shipped it promptly and they were a pleasure to deal with over the phone. I spoke to Pete.

The Milltek provides quiet power, something I need because I have had my loud exhaust cars (V8 American muscle with dual exhaust and flowmasters...) and the people I live with got tired of it. A lot of people say my car sounds like an R32 with the Milltek on it, and I have to agree with them, now that I have heard an R32 in person. Its stealthy...especially on 1.8T motors. I recommend the Milltek highly!

[ February 02, 2004: Message edited by: GTIVR62801 ]

·
Registered
177 Posts
I recently came into some money 5,000 to be excact. I have a 2003 gti 1.8t and i'm not sure what to spend it on. I know i could get the apr stage 3 kit but i only have 8,000 miles on my car and i'm not trying to void my warranty yet. Do u guys think i sould get everything eles before the stage 3? A list of a "few" things: Chip,Exaust,Downpipe,Turbo inlet pipe,Dog bone engine mounts, short shifter, possibly a oetinger oil cooler,fuel pump, fuel injecters and thats about all i can think off. Do u guys or gals think i left anything out? Would a lsd be good to get?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I would say intercooler and a big brake kit sounds nice. But deff. exaust and downpipe and chip>>

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Turbo back exhaust will start to void some of your warranty, if you don't want to void anything you'll have to stick with cat back for now.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
if it were my money i would:

1) invest it and make more money to spend towars your car.

2) lower it with springs and shocks, paint my valences, add side skirts, change the grill, add an intake, and full exhaust with 3' downpipe.

3) screw the car and go on vacation!

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1point8T:
if it were my money i would:

1) invest it and make more money to spend towars your car.

2) lower it with springs and shocks, paint my valences, add side skirts, change the grill, add an intake, and full exhaust with 3' downpipe.

3) screw the car and go on vacation!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah but, you are Canadian.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I dont knwo man i tihnk the 1.8 t's are good as is, if i was u i would buy chip echaust and cold air intake for performance, and then get a hella system and body kit, but hey dont listen to me, im only 17

peace

1 - 20 of 21 Posts