VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,
my mom has a 2001 jetta wolfsburg and has the 6 disc changer in the back, which has already been replaced once because for some reason it didn't work right. Anyways, now that its winter and cold out in New England, the disc changer doesn't work right. its mostly when its cold that it wont work right. once you can get it to heat up, which takes a while as it is in the trunk, it works fine. Does this happen to any of you who have a disc changer in the trunk? is it a common thing? or is it something I should have VW look at?
thanks alot in advance

(sorry if this is in the wrong spot)

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Well I have my changers in the Jetta and GTi for about 2 years now and it can get really cold in PA and I never had a problem. However in my experience with other CD players they can be real slow do to cold. So I would say it's not too unheard of.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by db:
Well I have my changers in the Jetta and GTi for about 2 years now and it can get really cold in PA and I never had a problem. However in my experience with other CD players they can be real slow do to cold. So I would say it's not too unheard of.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I generally have problems with my changer if it is right around the freezing point where condensation can accumulate on disks. I figured out that disks on the upper positions (3,4,5,6) will skip a lot under these conditions because they are closer to the outside of the car I think. I know it sounds crazy but I've paid a lot of attention to this so I have a good idea when things will and will not work and my predictions seem to hold true. If it is really cold (like 20 degreees and below) it usually works fine and if it is like 38 degrees and above it is fine but inbetween look out. I'm pretty must stuck listneing to disks 1 and 2 until the car warms up.

[ December 17, 2003: Message edited by: Tommunist ]

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Funny this was posted today, yesterday I couldn't get mine to change disks at all, it just kept saying no disc untill the car warmed up. It seemed to work fine this morning though. I never had this problem before.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
I never had a problem with mine, but if you bring it back to the dealer I bet they will fix it for you (assuming it's still under warranty)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks alot for the info and suggestions guys. i think i will contact Langan (my vw dealer in ct) and just see what they know about it and what they can do. i guess it cant hurt to call.
anyways, thanks once again

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
usually when it's really cold outside my cd player takes a long time to start up and play(i have the monsoon system). so i'm assuming it's just the weather outside.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
yea that happens to me also, im not sure what makes it do it exactly but your rite its always when its cold out, usually in the mornings only.anyone know?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts