VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just re installed my 1600 in my Beetle and the starter would not crank and silenoid not kicking.. i exchanged it for a new one and its still not working and it has some new electrical connections.. what are these new connections for? confused as to why its not working now.. didnt have any problems at all before

·
Registered
353 Posts
Do you have at least 12.6 volts at the battery terminal? When trying to crank, do you have at least 12.6 volts at the relay terminal?
If you do take the starter to the bench and put booster cables to the positive post and ground to an ear, take a wire and jump from positive to the relay terminal.
Work now? - Check your mounting and check the bendix to see if it will mesh with the ring gear. Check your wires and grounds for nasty corrosion.
Doesn't work? - Take the starter back and get a new one.

As for those other wires they can be used for many things such as turning on the field to the alternator when the engine starts cranking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
was a burnt ignition.. key goes to on and has power but doesnt start..
so key on then jump start the starter and vroooom!

·
Registered
169 Posts
starter problem

Lift the back seat, on the left side, driver's side, there is a plastic insulator with a heavy 10 or 12 ga. red or red and white coming from the front and a red wire that goes to the push connector on the solenoid. This wire could have been pulled apart by accident. I dont like this setup because of the resistance there. I like to cut out the OE connectors, slip a 4 inch piece of heat shrink material on one end strip the wire ends and splice the wire ends with a yellow butt connector then seal it up with the heat shrink material. Tape should work too.

Ainokea

1 - 4 of 4 Posts