VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car was given to me. So i thought i would fix it up and drive it. Does anybody know the specs on the Diesel engine? What kinda of oil, oil capacities for engine and Tranny. This car has been sitting a year because of a broken alt belt. Also how big of battery does it need? As u can see I dunno much about VW's so any info would be nice.TIA

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 85VWGOLF:
This car was given to me. So i thought i would fix it up and drive it. Does anybody know the specs on the Diesel engine? What kinda of oil, oil capacities for engine and Tranny. This car has been sitting a year because of a broken alt belt. Also how big of battery does it need? As u can see I dunno much about VW's so any info would be nice.TIA
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Something like 52hp. I use Delo industial oil in my truck. It's cheap, comes in big jugs, available at your local auto parts store. It takes 5 quarts. The diesel uses a different oil filter than a gas vw motor so make sure you get the right one. Tranny depends on if it's an auto or a stick.

The biggest deal is to replace the timing belt... because if it lets loose it takes the entire motor out with it. There's really only two sizes of batteries for VWs. The bigger of the two will work better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a manual. Is there anything i should do to it it has been sitting a year or should i just stick a battery in it an try starting it. What weight of oil do u use?

G

·
0 Posts
the tranny is a gear oil it takes a 80w90 wieght gear oil go to your local auto part store u should find it there

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Old Skool MK2:
the tranny is a gear oil it takes a 80w90 wieght gear oil go to your local auto part store u should find it there<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

should be 2.2 quarts in the tranny

Toss a battery in it, turn the key on and let the glowplugs warm up for a while, then crank it over. It might take a little while to start... but usually you can tell when it will probably start, and when you don't stand a chance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since its gonna be about 33 degrees out should i plug it in a day or two in advance? Is there any secrets to starting these things?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts