VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i have had several vw before most of them i had money and a place to work on them. now i am limited on both.
I need to drive this car from portland to L.A.
Heres the deal
I bought the car the other day, on the way home it died 3 times.
I have done a compresion test, i got 150psi all the way accross. It was a fast test, maybe could have gotten 160psi, not sure.
However i did not do a leak down.
The car had not been run sence march, when i first started the car i could hear a lifter tick, after a few niutes it sounded like the liffter freed up and it stoped.
on the way home it got worse and i could here the whole valve train.
Yesterday i started it for a minute and i couldn't here one valve.
I checked the cap rotor and plugs, the cap had black deposits on every contact so thick i could scrap it with a screwdriver, the rotor was the same, the plugs are bosh supers i think. the ones with four points. They had burnt deposits (white)
the od reads 212,000
So gurus what do you think, my funds are down to about $90 for this car.
what would you do? Why do you think it was dying? Whats up with the vavles getting noisey after its warmed up?
Any help would be great
thanx

·
Registered
526 Posts
clean the hell out of the cap and rotor...get i would suggest platinum plus 2 spark plugs and do an oil change with some synthetic oil or something that is recommended for high mileage cars

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you think its a spark problem thats causing the car to die while its warm?

What do you think is causing the valve train to get noisy after its been running for awhile?

·
Registered
267 Posts
my guy had an 85 that would die when he was driving it. his problem was the fuel pump and filter. the whole thing was so dirty that not enough gas was getting to the engine to keep it running. he had it cleaned and replaced the pump. after that it was... well better then before. your valve tick is also something very common with the mkII's... good luck with it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx, yeah i was thinking filter but i think i am gonna check the fuel pressure first.
CIS injection has never been my friend so will see how that turns out?
I can't aford much so ended up buying NGK multi-power (#bpget) plugs [email protected]
standard cap and rotor for 17.25 & 7.95
valve cover gasket for 5.85
chiltons manual for 15.00
so now i have $10.64 left on this project.
[methinks] should start beting pool[/methinks]
so i got ten bucks left to make this car with 212,000
bad rear brakes
150 psi compresion
and either a spark or a fuel problem

(scratches head)

to get me back to L.A. from portland.

new parts i have
4 plugs
1 cap
1 rotor
1 valve cover gasket
1 chiltons manual

All the tools!

Start placing your bets now

Think ill make it?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Never underestimate assistance from other dubbers. I think you can make it, it just might take you longer than expected.
Good Luck. with that 10 bux I might buy a prepaid phone card for some assistance calls.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Replace all of that and put some fuel injector cleaner in on an empty tank of gas and then fill up with supreme. My gf's 87 was running rough when we bought it and it had been sitting a lot so we did that and it helped a lot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fli gti:
with that 10 bux I might buy a prepaid phone card for some assistance calls.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LMAO!

hopefully, its just gonna be small problems.

I think the valve seats might be just a little worn, when we first started the car it smoked a bit. on the first drive home it smoked. sence its been here ive only driven it to the store and back (2miles) and it doesnt smoke any more.

so i am gonna replace the plugs, cap and rotor today. I am also going to pull the valve cover and check the vavle lash.

also hopefully fuel pressure, i'll report back here when i am done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
changed the cap, rotor and plugs. seems to be a small improve ment, it started on the 3rd crank ( about 1.5sec) i decided to take a brake for a second. I hate the fact that i have to warm the car-up before i can check the valve lash. dont realy wana burn my self

at an idle it doesnt seem to smoke, cept i noticed that after i replaced everything and drove it, sitting at idle it would sputter a couple barely visible puffs of smoke every once in awhile.
maybe its running to rich?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
YEAH!!!!!
I know whats wrong with it!!

With out checking Fuel PSI
or Valve lash (wich I think still needs to be done)

I just drove it to 7-11 for some lunch, The Bomb burrito and a 40oz.

Once i got back I let it idle cooked my food and just kept waiting.

About ten minutes later i went back out and could hear the fuel pump screaming, i tapped on it a couple times, the pump and filter. It got louder and didn't sound very healthy.
I left went back into the apartment and the car died a few minutes later.
I went back out and tryed to start it again.
i had to get into the car and step on the gas for it to start. Norm i dont need to touch the gas.
once it started it would hold idle and kept running.
I could no longer hear the fuel pump huming.
So the filter is prob bad, and in turn starts to over work the fuel pump.

Hopefully replacing both should get me home.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had that noise out of my 87 jetta i changed the filter it still buzzed i replaced the pump and it worked the car ran fine i the future i would invest in a pump for the tank too cause of it working so much harder

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Wow, long time no hear. Good to see you got it figured out. Are you still planning on making the cross country trek with it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts