VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am TOTALLY stumped! I went to change my T-belt and V-belt and I can't get the darn 1st belt (Water pump/PWR steering/?) off... I own the most worthless manual in the world... U guessed, "The Official Factory Repair Manual 1985" from the normally helpful Bentley publisher. I paid $40 for it cause it's out-of-print, but the belt and its removal are TOTALLY ignored. Being the puzzle solver that I am, I think I figured it out, but before I destroy my Jetta, I figure I need to ask you if this is correct:

Underneath the Alternator, there is this funny looking hunk of aluminum. It has a 6mm hex nut on the top (which is stubborn, so I stopped to ask 1st) and two 13mm bolts. It seems if these are removed and a swing arm below the unit is loosened, you can "leverage" the tension making the removal of the first belt possible... Am I close people?

I even have a Chilton's "Front Wheel Drive 74-89" Repair manual and it isn't mentioned there either.... AAHHH!!! I had another 85 Jetta before, but it was an Automatic (I'll never go there again- 5-spd forever), and the V-belt ran all the pulleys. I did that timing belt with a flashlight in less than 2 hours (you GOTTA love VW's!)... Well, I will wait to hear back from you all, but tomorrow I need to get a quality 6mm Hex socket, nothing like a "$3 special" Hex wrench screwing everything up!

1985 Jetta GLI
181000+ miles
Emissions: Fails THC 5.10 (2.00 stndrd) and NOX 3.86 (3.70 stndrd)

·
Registered
5 Posts
If I remember correctly, I had the same problem when i had to change an Alternator Belt, which is beside (furthest most "in") that belt you're talking about. I just went with brute force...meaning I loosened the AC compressor bolts enough (the compressor doesn't move a lot) to create some slack in the belt, and then used a prybar to get the belt off the pully. This will really test the condition of your AC belt, but since you're there, you might as well put a new one in ! Of course, getting this belt back on is a pain, but not impossible.

Hope this Helps...

Petri

·
Registered
5 Posts
Crap...sorry..just re-read your post and I may be talking about the wrong belt here.. I know with the power steering belt you can loosen the Power steering pump bolts at the pulley (3 I think maybe four bolts) and pull the entire pulley off and the belt...

just my hacker way of doing things I guess..

Petri

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After a week of trying to figure this belt out, it it is done... Pulling the pulley is the ONLY way... I truely wish Bentley Publishing would own the damn cars before writting the books. I went out and got the Service manual 85-90, and it wasn't mentioned there either. She is running alot smoother now, tomorrow I got to get emissions checked... {FINGERS CROSSED}

Thx!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts