VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope somebody can help me. I am trying to replace the strut cartridges on my 87 Jetta GL. I replaced the carts, reassembled everything in exact reverse order, installed the assembly and then when I lowered the car back down, the "plate" on the top that you can see from under the hood is sticking up 1/2 to 3/4 inch. I have studied the drawings in Haynes and Chiltons and assembled everything according to them. I have checked the new carts against the old ones and all of the dimensions are the same. No matter what I do, I can't get the top to sit flush so the dust cover will fit on. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Are you sure the strut mounts are in there? Maybe somthing fell out when you had it apart and din't notice it. Or maybe it was bad and now that it's oin a different position it's all calapsed. When you had the car off the ground did you try to pick the wheel up? If it moves up and down it needs a new strut mount. They go bad pretty frequently on our cars. That's all i can think of.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts