VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 1988 Golf Cabriolet for $500, pics soon, and it has a few problems. It is a European model, which makes sense as I am in Germany. The roof needs to be replaced, and there is an interesting problem with the engine. There is blowback as there is oil on the air filter, the engine leaks oil pretty well but I was told redoing the seal would increase said blowback. Also, the idle is all FUBAR. In the morning, when it is quite cold, it runs ragged as hell, I have to rev the engine to keep it from stalling out. Later in the day, after it has warmed up, it can rev high, from 2000-2500 RPMs. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what to do about the blow back so I can reseal the engine and stop the oil leak. That, or the revving issue would be great to have help with.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,441 Posts
the blowback is probably caused by a block breather or pcv line. not exactly sure what you guys have over there for emissions. the idle could be a vacuum line that is leaking or blocked. what injection system is it? cis? cis-e?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not too smart to be able to tell you cis or cis-e. you are the second person to tell me vacuum problem so I'll check that out. Is there a way to see about if it is cis or cis-e? The manual is all in German and the Bentley book is on order.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
sounds like it might have something to do with the cis or cis-e system like fubar stated.

also vaccum leak for the revving problem. for a vaccum leak just trace the rubber vaccum hoses and look for a rip / tear / dry rotted rubber vaccum line. if you find it. simply replace it.

did you change spark plugs recently if not.. you should toss a new set in wouldnt hurt and could help smooth out that idle issue.

you could always find a local who is fluent in german and have him try to translate the manual you have while you wait for the bentley.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, based on this forum post:

CIS-E problems

I am thinking this is a CIS car. I will be changing out the brakepads this weekend, with luck. Unless the baby is born that is. After that I will use the auto skills center's fog machine to check for vacuum problems. I truly truly appreciate all the help you guys are giving me here!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, thanks to everyone for the help, my son was born so things got sidetracked. Brake pads and rotors changed out on the front, so I am good there. I found a vacuum problem, but it did not solve the odd idle. One of the hoses going to the power booster for the brakes was disconnected, but is now reconnected and things are running better, thats for sure!

I also pulled the spark plugs, they are dirty as shit. Well, were really because I torched them and scraped the schmegma off with a wire brush. This is what the mechanic at our DIY shop said to do, and hes twice as old as I am(in his sixties, seventies?), so I believe him. Him and another guy were helping me try to adjust the idle, but we were unable to do so. After much dicking around they told me my butterfly is stuck and I need a new carburetor. The second guy said a Weber, so I am looking that up as the stock one new is something near the order of $1500. No thanks!

So my new question is this- is it possible/worth it to try & rebuild/repair the carb to unstick the butterfly? Also, the thing is still burning off gas like its a party, and the fuel/air mix screw is all the way tightened, is this a part of the carburetor problem? Thanks for all the help before and now!

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a 1988 golf gti rabbit
the mount / bracket that is located abone the exhaust that is connected to the steering arms has broke can i get replacements and are they welded or bolted as mine has fresh weld on it. i have just bought the car
thanks barrie

·
Registered
169 Posts
Cis or carburetor

Did I read correctly? Did you not say that there was a carburetor on your engine? If it is a carburetor you do not have CIS or CIS-E injection. If my memory serves me right, there were some Canadian and European models that came with small carburetors that had a lot of vacuum lines running every which way in the engine compartment. We replaced these pieces of junk with Solex 34 pict-3 carburetors, the same carburetor used on the aircooled Beetle. Do you have braided stainless steel lines running to the back side of your cylinder head. Is there a large rubber boot connected to a metal or plastic sleeve that connects to a rubber sleeve that connects to your intake manifold or do you have a carburetor on the right side just under the cowl? If it's a carburetor, you can replace it with a much cheaper 34 solex.

Ainokea

1 - 8 of 8 Posts