VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fuel pumps are easy but when i replaced mine they were pretty damn expensive. But i got them from the dealer. The water pump isn't too bad but if you don't know too much about it i sugest you buy a manual. you need to take off some of the pulley's. And i think the timing belt if i recall correctly. It's been a couple years since i replaced mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey all, new to the forum here, probably not staying for the moment as I don't (yet) own a VW, but hopin to change that...

A friend of mine is getting rid of his '90 Jetta 1.8 for like $400 so of course I was interested. Its in pretty good shape overall, can't remember the milage, but he's kept it in good order. The only major problems on it that he mentioned were the fuel pump(s) and possibly water pump.

I don't know a ton about cars, but I know a decent amount since having my first and current car ('91 Chevy Corsica). Every problem that car has had so far I have fixed myself through research and some hard work, so I'm willing to try the repairs on this Jetta (if its worth it).

So what do you guys think about this car? I read that there are 2 fuel pumps in this Jetta, one in the fuel tank and a second one somewhere else. Is this true? How much work is it to replace this/these? And the same for the water pump - is it a pretty hard job or is it managable?

Thanks for the replies all!

-Jesse-

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CorsicaKid:
I read that there are 2 fuel pumps in this Jetta, one in the fuel tank and a second one somewhere else. Is this true? How much work is it to replace this/these? And the same for the water pump - is it a pretty hard job or is it managable?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it's true

Yes they're easy to replace

The water pump is a little more of a pain than the fuel pump... still pretty easy though.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 89jettawolfs:
And i think the timing belt if i recall correctly. It's been a couple years since i replaced mine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on how you do it... if you remove the waterpump housing with the pump you have to remove the power steering pump, A/C pump, and alternator. If you just take the pump out of the housing I'm pretty sure you have to pull the timing belt.

I can do a timing belt in about half an hour at this point... so I'd go that way. Besides... what a great time to replace the belt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts