VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night I got into my car to head out to work after a pretty heavy rain and noticed a swishing sound. I looked down and on either side of the car on the floor there was a 2-3 in. pool of water. I was already on my way to work and I didn't want to be late so I couldn't do anything at the time. On my lunch break I went and scooped out as much water as I could, but there is still a lot there. I heard something somewhere that if the drains in front of the windshield get clogged that it could back up into the car. I was wondering if that is what could be wrong, and if so how can I unclog them? I am not even too sure where they are. I can see pools of water when I pop my hood and check where I think the drains are, but I am not too sure. Can anyone help?

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Sorry to hear about this lots of members are having not so good luck these days with their dubs. I would check to ensure that you don't have a hole in the floor or anything like that. Next the water could be running down your door sills right to the floor (gravity). Check all your seals...how you can test this is first clean up all the water mess. Then sit inside and have somebody spray the car with a hose. This way you can locate the source of the water.

Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Well this happened with my friends 80-something Civic hatchback (Better known to all of us as "El-Turbo"). His problem was actually a hole where the spare tire was. I assume you don't look back there much, so you never really know what's going on...might want to give it a look.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
well, if it is up in the drivers floor, then yes, i would say blow out teh sun roof drains. i had to do that ever week on my old Rabbit. the fonts might be a tad harder then the rears, i dont know where they are on these cars. also, try what DB said, sounds like a good idea.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I heard alot of a2 golfs and gtis always would have water on the floors.I would shop it all out before it starts to stink!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, first I want to say that I solved the problem. It did have something to do with the drains up near the front windshield(if you pop the hood and remove the plastic covers near the windshield the drains are on either side.) I first wet vaced the floors but they are still wet, but it is hard to get them completely dry because it had some coolant mixed in with it(from when my heater core went out.) I then vacuumed all the leaves and crap out from the drains and discovered that the drain on the right side of the car had a lot of build up of some sort. This just so happens to be the same side the fan intake is on. So once I cleared all the crap out of the way I put the plastic covers back on, and did a test and the water flowed nicely out. The problem was the build up on the main drain back up water and so when I turned the fan on it pulled all that water and crap into the system and would flush it out of the vents aimed at the feet. I checked all the seals on the window like you suggested db, but haven't had a chance to test them with a hose yet. Also I knew it wasnt from the floor pan or the trunk because the trunk was dry and the water was standing on the floor, it wasnt leaving the way it would supposedly come in. Oh, and it is too late on the smell, it already has aquafunk, but not as bad as before. Can't wait for summer so I can roll with the windows down and air the whole thing out(only way I can completely get ALL of the coolant out of the car.) Thanks everyone for the suggestions and worrying. I really appreciate it.

*Really should have read it over before I posted it the first time!

[ March 19, 2003: Message edited by: Synthogen ]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts