VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start from the beginning . . . I was at my friends house with him, his gf, and his neighbor. My friend and his gf were discussing plans for their sons 2nd birthday party. They got finished with that at around 2am, the same time we usually go out to get something to eat. Their neighbor was too tired so he decided to stay there and nap on the couch. It had been raining here for the past couple days so the roads were slick. As soon as we got in the car my friend told his gf to put on her seatbelt, at which point I made a joke about not being that bad of a drive. He said that the roads were wet and there are some crazy drivers out there and I agreed. So we are driving down the road, no cars are behind us, no cars in front of us in either direction, and there weren't any cars at the next light. I wasn't driving crazy, in fact I was following the laws more closely than I normally do. I saw the light was green and I looked down to check my speed. The next thing I know my friend is screaming, "Dude! It's RED!!" I look up or come out from zoning out or something and I slam on the brakes. The brakes lock and we go skidding into the intersection. At about this time there was a cop car coming down the street doing probably about 50mph without its lights or sirens on. The cop car ends up T-boning us smashing the drivers side right behind the door and the glass just blew out. Our car started spinning and ended up on the curb and smashing into a parked car kind of head on. I was looking directly at the cop car when we got hit and I think I hit my head on the rearview mirror and blacked out for a moment, because the next thing I know my friend is asking his gf if she is alright. But she doesnt answer and he keeps calling her name but she doesn't respond. We both look back and she isnt in the car and all we see is the hatch popped open a bit, my speakers with my cargo cover are missing and the rear drivers side window is blown out. I tried to open my door but it was jammed and so we both scrambled out of the passenger side. I get out and saw my speakers with the cargo cover were 10-15ft in front of where the car stopped, which is roughly 60ft or more from where the cop car hit us in the intersection. We scrambled out of the car and my friend goes to the hatch and looks in the trunk to see if she is there and I go running around the car and see her laying about two to three car lengths ahead of where the car stopped. I called her name and she wasn't moving and I go running up to her with my friend running behind me. I kneel down next to her calling her name and she still doesn't respond. Im kneeling down next to her crying because I think I just killed my friends gf and right before their sons 2nd birthday, all because we wanted something to eat. My friend is kneeling down calling her name and asking her if she is ok and trying to keep her still. Within minutes the intersection is covered with cop cars and ambulances. I walk away crying and go sit by my car as the paramedics are taking care of her, watching as my friend, her bf, is trying to keep calm. I notice that my car is still running so I turn it off and take the keys out for safety. The cops ask me for all my info and then lead me to an ambulance where they are trying to check me out. I was so scared and full of adrenaline that I was shaking and the paramedics couldn't take my blood pressure. The cops ask me if I had been drinking and make me take the breathalizer, the whole time my chest is hurting and feels like it is caving in with each breathe. They take me to the hospital and I almost refused treatment because I was more worried about my friends health than my own. After I get all checked out, the Recreation Officer comes up to me and pulls me aside. He asks me if my friends gf was wearing my security jacket that I usually leave in the backseat of my car. I told him no and he looks shocked. Apparenly when the car was spinning the jacket flew out the window at the same time that she did and she either caught it or landed on it and skidded on the jacket. The jacket was all scraped up and missing some teeth from the zipper, and there is a good possibility that the jacket saved her life. After I got checked out I went with my parents to the hospital that my friends were at. Turns out she only had a concussion some scraped up knuckles, possibly from holding on to the jacket, and a swollen leg and knee. She doesn't remember any of the crash. The last thing she remembered was getting into the car, but not the conversation about putting on the seatbelt, which she did not have on.

So all of us are doing good right now, and I am so thankful that everyone is safe, because it could have been a lot worse than it was. The only downside is that my car is totalled. I should be going to take a look at it tomorrow and I will take some pictures of it to show you how hard the cop car hit us. But one thing that I find amazing is that after all of that my car was still running good, after getting hit by a cop car, spinning up on to the curb and smashing into another car.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
That sucks man.. I glad everyone is doing OK now. It seems like everyone is getting into accidents or blowing engines or something!! Everyone be safe out on the roads!!
jon

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
thats amazing that for the most part there were not any more serious injuries. hope everything goes well for all of u.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Im so glad you are ok.

Be careful on the streets out there kids. Remeber that we are the small ones, and we sometimes forget the frailty of a human life.

Thank God no one got killed!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update!
My insurance company called me today about the accident. Since I only have liability and uninsured motorist, it will only cover $5,000. No one, not even the cops think it is my fault yet MY insurance company is placing all blame on me and they suggested I get a lawyer. They say that someone may file a lawsuit to get more money from me because "I caused all damages!"

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Did you get any tickets from it? i thought the insurance company would get you IF you got a ticket, plus if the cops say it wasn't your fault, then the insurance should say the same thing. i would fight this
jon

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
im sooo sorry man, what a horrible and amazing story. im really glad your ok man and the part about he jacket is just simply amazing. wow. thank god your all ok. sorry about the whole insurance thing. good luck with everything.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My stepmom said that from what the cops were saying that I wasn't getting a ticket. I had even talked to the Watch Commander and he said that it was an accident plain and simple. That I shouldn't worry about it. I haven't gotten a ticket yet but I don't know if I will be getting one, but it doesn't look that way.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
thats good to hear. at least your gettin somewhat of a break. sorry man.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well if you were not issued a ticket, then why is the insurance company trying to screw you over? don't they know the cop hit you? ask the exact reason why, and what the policy behind the reason is. see what they come up with.
jon

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The insurance company said that it was my fault, because I went through on a red. She told me to think of it this way, if I had not gone through then there wouldn't be an accident. She isn't understanding that I had no intention of going through, my brakes locked and I slid. Also the cop was going way too fast. She said that has nothing to do with me being in the intersection, but it does have a lot to do with the damage. Had he not hit me so hard both of our cars would not be totalled and I would not have hit the other car, nor would my friend have flown out of the car. This insurance woman is an idiot and I am being screwed because of her.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
But does she understand that you slide through? The tires got not traction?? Shit happens, they just don't want to relize that and pay for it?
jon

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I spoke to her again, and she said she will make a note of how fast I thought the cop car was going. I think he was going about 50mph because the rear axle was compacted all the way back to the fender wall. She also made a note that he didn't have on his sirens or lights. They are passing my claim on to another guy due to the severity of my friends injuries. So we shall see what happens. I might be looking to get a Corrado next.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you everyone for posting. You are right db and that is why I thank God that my friend is not hurt worse than she could have been.

·
Registered
380 Posts
im speachless...that is a horrible story, even hard to believe that something horrible can even happen. For a second there I thought your friend was dead I am glad she survived and that both you and her bf survived also. Forget the car it can always be replaced. Make sure to fight this since that insurrance lady is a typical asshole. I bet if that happened to her she would be crying on the floor not to pay. Some people just dont care all the want is money no matter what it costs. Well Im going of the subject. Tx god you're all alive. Drive safe everyone. And I hope you get a nice dub.

Emir

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
oh man. that is a very frightening story. i am glad to hear that everyone is doing ok now. i will pray for all of you. oh man, what a bad story.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Not cool, Kult.

Synth... If they didn't issue a ticket for running the red, then you didn't run the red. Tell the insurance lady that, she has no record of your fault except your testimony, and if you havn't signed an affadavit you can chang that.... tell her that if you get a lawyer, it is for going after her company, not for your protection.

Good luck with that, and keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts