VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, vehicle is 1993 golf gl, automatic trans, unknown mileage (stopped at 120k) but is in beautiful shape. Tach, odo, speedo all don't work. Odo sits at 120, other two don't budge.
Basically, it keeps jumping into limp home mode and staying in second (about half the time). When it's not in limp home mode, it will sometimes start in second from a stop, regardless of how much gas you give it, sometimes it will start in first, then jump to third, and sometimes it will eventually pull fourth. Sometimes it will just max out in third and not shift fourth. I drove 20 miles home on the freeway in third.

Also OCCASIONALLY when you come to a stop, it feels like the tqc is locked up, and bogs, if you shift to neutral, then back to drive or another gear, it will let off and sit normally.

We have been able to, at one point or another, feel all gears, which is a positive. There was a while where it would jump out of any gear while accelerating hard, but that stopped after drain and fill.

we've drained fluid, it was clean, no metal. Solenoids all looked in tact visually. Refilled. First we suspected tcu, and upon lifting the back seat found a second tcu next to the first, indicating someone had already tried.

We had some codes, we cleared several times and a few random ones came back, buy I will have to wait for this evening to post them. I know there were a few solenoid codes, and a trans temp high code that was not correct (still cold).

Any ideas are welcome! This thing shifts where and when it feels like it!
TIA =)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we also tested the trans harness OUT of the trans, at the TCU plug. this meant jumping the harness at each plug where the solenoids go. while one of us watched for continuity, the other wiggled all areas of the trans harness under the hood. steady readings from all (indicating no breaks or shorts).

next we will be testing the gear selector switch

1 - 3 of 3 Posts