VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year my dad bought a 1994 Jetta Turbo Diesel. The car had 70,000 kms and he paid $6000 (canadian) for it, thought it was a good deal. Since he bought it he has had nothing but problems with it. He's probably put about $3000 into the car, and counting. Today we read in the paper that the odometers in 94 jetta diesels reset after 300,000 kms. So he bought a car with damn near 400,000 kms, being advertised as "near new".

I just think it is completely rediculous(sp?) that volkswagen would design the car like that!

·
Registered
433 Posts
wow.. that is the first i have ever heard that dubs reset after 300,000. that really is bullsh** if it did reset and it was sold as almost new. are you sure that it reset because i've seen cars that are older than '94 with about the same miles one them.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure that it has been reset. I've never heard of another diesel that has had this many problems with so few kms.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check out the thread on "has my odometer rolled over"...Same topic, different car...

·
Registered
680 Posts
Here in Pennsylvania you could check annual inspection records (where your mileage is recorded) and annual registration (again, you record your mileage) - most insurance companies are also interested in how far you drive (it can impact your rates) - check with your local authorities - and if the vehicle was mis-represented as being "low mileage" when that's not the case - you might even have legal rcourse -

Other (potentially less reliable) methods -

wear pattern on brake and clutch pedals
wear patterns on carpets -
any service records? Local dealers?

I'd suspect that you'd only need to find one instance of the vehicles mileage being recorded as higher than it is now to prove that it's been tampered with or reset itself -

Best of luck -

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts