VW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does a mkIII gti motor drop in a mkII relatively easy? how tunable is the gti motor? do i need a chip upgrade to run with that? inever seen, heard or felt how they run. one thing i do know is that its not a vr which is what im going to swap into my mkIII shell after i get through the body work. isiT A 2.0 TWIN cam motor? how much torque & hp does these come with, and how much hp can be produce? even though im not going to tune it to much but just a lil knowledge couldnt hurt.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
I'm not clear on your questions but ill offer general info on everything.

MKIII GTi had 2 engines:
2.0 8v x-flow head on ABA engeine code
115hp/124lb/tq Single OHC
Turboed they can produce upwards of 250hp
Cam/Exhaust/Intake/Chip brings power closer to 140hp/145lbtq

2.8l 12v VR6 AAA engine code
172hp/170lb/tq DOCH
Supercharged=roungly 250hp
Turbocharged, capable of over 600+hp but more likely around 300,350.
Cam/Exhaust/Intake/Chip brings power closer to 190hp/190lb/tq
ABA will drop in easier, cheaper engine to get and cheeper to tune. VR will drop in faily easy to, altho the additional weight on the front of the car hurts handling a good bit.

No a chip upgrade is not needed since the ECU itself will be put in with the engine.
Wiring is always the hardest part of a swap, 90-92 VW's started to use CE2 wiring. Making everything alot closer to plug n play.

The Swap is very common for both engine, moreso the VR6 for its raw power and singnature sound. Several of our members will be taking on a VR into an MK2 shortly, and Blue92Mk2(Tim) has the x-flow swap and VWSpeed33(Ian) will be doing the swap shortly.
Once you have decided on an engine someone can give you more specific information.

Techtonics Tuning's website has a How-To on the X-flow Swap.

[ February 14, 2004: Message edited by: 98a4 ]

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! didnt mean to be confusing. trying to increase my vw knowledge. maybe theres a book you can steer me too that'll imporve my knowledge on vw new to old

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
None that I know of. VWF's members know just about anything there is u would like to know. Many of us, myself atleast, enjoy teaching people who are new to the scene. So any questions you have, or if you want general information just post up. Best way to learn is just read, read the forums(beware of vortex tho, its full of knowledge, and false information). Euro Magazines are also a good resorce.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
it won't be a 2.0l twin cam. It's either a 2.8 vr6 or a 2liter sohc 8v. Both make a good swap. And the x-flow doesn't add a ton of power stock it's mauch easier to turbo and to upgrade thent he engines that came in our mk2's. I think the internet is the best way to get info on this stuff. just ask if you have any questions. we're all here to help each other.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
iread the term x-flow alot im not too familiar with what it actually means. that and long block and shrt block differences? can yall clearify these for me?

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maddfras:
iread the term x-flow alot im not too familiar with what it actually means. that and long block and shrt block differences? can yall clearify these for me?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hidro- I was just stating the N/A engines, that engine was not offered here in the US.

X-flow head differ from other 8v heads...It simply means, The air flows accrost the head unlike older 8v heads(such as ians) where the intake and exhaust manifolds both enter/exit on the same side of the head. On x-flow air comes in one side, and going out the opposite side.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HidRo:
did some one forgot to mention the 2.0 16V ABF from the mark3 GTI!?
150hp.with a chip- 170hp.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i wish they offered that here in the U.S.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
if ur lookin for an opinion...i have the x flow swap and i love it...its pretty cheap for a good amount of power...im lookinto turbo here soon...good luck

·
Registered
748 Posts
yea dude good luck with which ever way you choose to go with the swap ,im still undecided ,love the vr to death but then again 1.8t is a nice choice as well or 2.0 x-flow as for now i have more important things then a swap like finishing my interior

·
Registered
192 Posts
g/l man damn dakoda just how much time do u have on ur hands.. im impressed soon as i get my mark 2 will be a crossflow swap if u could aford the vr6 i would go for it if nto the 2.0x flow is still a kick in the seat...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
will i be able to keep my suspension and stuff if i put in the the gti motor in? im kinda anxious to drive my car iwanna know first if ican drop motor in and go, of course after tuning all the kinks and stuff to make sure its running smoothly.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
I would imagine that the suspension needs to be upgraded. An extra 100lbs+ on the front end... Aaron?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts