VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 96 golf gl
5 speed was told it had a 2.0 Aba 4 cyl.
Anyone tell me anything about this car?

·
Registered
151 Posts
uhm well what else do you want to know? they are good on gas, pretty slow, reverse gears go bad eventually, as do the instrument cluster. pretty reliable little critters though. i got one, nothin fancy about it but it gets me from a to b in some form of style.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The speedo doesn't work. Reverse feels little weird but works still. Normal? Fun little car though.
Has air controlled locks? Driver door has a leak on a tube connector .

Any gauge cluster swap? Plug and play kinda thing?
Speedo says 266k motor was rebuilt little while ago.

I traded a 92 silverado exit cab for it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
yea my speedo didnt work for a while too. just go to a pick and pull and get one. and yea its pretty much plug and play. just make sure you get one from a manual not an auto and one 96 or newer since obd2 starts in 96 for these cars. also, make sure you get one from a 4cyl and not the 6cyl. other than that you should be fine. mileage stays with the cluster so you can try to match it up if you want but honestly it doesnt really matter. Reverse gear is notoriously bad in these cars. just go easy on it and hopefully itll last a while. mine is pretty much completely gone but i have another tranny sitting in my closet for when i get the chance to through it in. its not really cost effective to rebuild the tranny since you can get a used one fro like 200. The locking system is pneumatic which is kinda weird but whatever. my trunk release doesnt really work well now so thats annoying. if the motor was rebuilt a while ago and they did a decent job then you probably have a good bit of life left in it. the 4cyl are pretty good engines for reliability and everything is pretty easy to work on. i rebuilt my head in a weekend and it was pretty straight forward. there is usually a pretty decent amount of cars in the junkyard too so thats always nice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts