VW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having some issues with my instrument cluster guys.

I don't have a friend with the same vehicle to swap out the cluster or else I'd test it that way.

Here's the scenario:

Speedometer crapped out one day and kicked into action on occasion. Check engine light is on with a speed sensor code (I'm sure the speed sensor is fine). Pulled out the cluster and touched up the sauter joints and it went about two days without having a problem. Than the speedo crapped out again. Seemed to happen when it was below 75 degrees outside. It wound up raining a couple of days ago and when I went to take a drive I noticed the instrument cluster was blank, minus the illumination lights and the check engine light. Drove it a little bit and hit a bump and it kicked back on, including the speedo (which eventually went out again). Today, cluster is once again dead minus the lights and check engine light and the shift position display.

It's either a bad cluster or a bad wiring harness. Anyone know of any diagnostics I can do on either the cluster or the wiring harness? Keep in mind I don't have a HAL sensor.

Any opinions would be grateful.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
The hitting a bump and it came back on is good in diagnosing. It means you have a bad connection somewhere along the lines.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts