VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I did some searching and could not find a thread as specific as I needed for help with this issue.

To start, all of these parts are new within last 2 years i've owned the Jetta:
-Fuel pump, starter, alternator, battery

So, while driving in rush hour going ~25mph in gear, car stalled. I assumed I had left it in too high a gear maybe and stalled it, but it was in 3rd. I tried turning it over and bump-starting it, neither of which worked. After sitting for about 5 min, white dash smoke came out of the vents, smelled electrical, not antifreeze (car did not overheat).

I haven't had time to run electrical tests with a meter yet, it's on my to-do list for the weekend. From searching posts I think it may be an ignition coil?

Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
The coil wouldnt smoke, did you look in the engine bay for smoke after it happened? Check your relays for electrical damage or melting too. You probably fried a relay.

·
Registered
56 Posts
something got fried obviously. And you know to look for something that looks burnt. Under the windsheild wipers there is a empty space where the wiper motors are and your ECU. There is also a intake looking thing, which I believe is where it pulls outside air into the car. So if it came from the vents it must've gotten pulled in through that intake looking thing.

I would look inside that area, specifically at the ECU(its a black box with a fat bundle of wires leading to it). Your ECU could've gotten fried. But im not sure if that is the first thing that got fried. Something could've happened, and then your ECU got to much power and fried after the first thing fried. Not really sure about this one. I would look for burnt plastic things, and check fuses and relay's.

Also. maybe what caused this was the voltage regulator(which I believe is part of the alternator) went out. It should limit the voltage to 14V. Your alternator generates a lot more than 14V but the regulator regulates the output to 14V so nothing gets fried.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The coil wouldnt smoke, did you look in the engine bay for smoke after it happened? Check your relays for electrical damage or melting too. You probably fried a relay.
Yeah, definitely wasn't the ignition coil. No smoke in engine bay.

No melted relays/fuses

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would look inside that area, specifically at the ECU(its a black box with a fat bundle of wires leading to it). Your ECU could've gotten fried. But im not sure if that is the first thing that got fried. Something could've happened, and then your ECU got to much power and fried after the first thing fried. Not really sure about this one. I would look for burnt plastic things, and check fuses and relay's.

Also. maybe what caused this was the voltage regulator(which I believe is part of the alternator) went out. It should limit the voltage to 14V. Your alternator generates a lot more than 14V but the regulator regulates the output to 14V so nothing gets fried.
Thanks for all the info. I've got free time tonight so I'm going to be checking the system starting at the ECU. No burnt plastic or fuses and relays. Interesting thought on the voltage regulator too.

I'll post back with my findings. Thanks for the tips guys.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
The first gauge i installed on my car was a volt gauge, the electrical qerks can get you on these things. Saved my ass a couple times and its sweet to know how your batteries doing. If your car doesnt start the first thing you look at is the volt gauge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts