VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a problem with my trans. it is putting out code p1778 the trans wont shift and is stuck in 3rd gear. i have have replaced the speed sensors. i have checked leads to them for signal, i have checked connections, valve body solinoids for proper ohms. i have checked batery voltage and grounds. i cleared codes with scanner and light comes right back on same code. trans is in safe mode. i am at a lost please any suggestions. This is my first vw jetta since my 85 jetta manual that never gave me any trouble. i have a 69 squreback and have had several air cooled vws. these watercooled are all new to me need some help. none of these codes came up before i changed the transmission due to other promblems. the trans is a clk. engine 2.0 thanks,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, the diagrm was helpful i did not know order of soliniods, ev7 was one that i was having trouble with the connector staying on, was not locking in place correctly. going to drop pan again and check connections.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i bought the car knowing it had promblems, when i looked at it no mader what gear u put it in it went forward, (rev,, neu,, drv,, all went foward so i was told trans was shot. so i bought a used and swapped. thats when all these other issue occured. I change the ev7 solenoid today checked connections again, filled with fluid. started car no light on, so went for a test ride went threw gears twice then went right back to third gear and no shifting. the light came back on so i rescanned know its a p0501 speed sens performance code, everthing i have read about this code refers to speedo , which by the way stopped working . i am confused will the speedo not working properly throw the car back in safe mode. any info is apreciated.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Wow sounds like your having fun. That code is a vehicle speed sensor range/ performance issue. Some vehicles have two sensors on the top of the case, one a vehicle speed sensor the other a transmission vehicle speed sensor. The transmission vehicle speed sensor is not used in all vehicles and it has a white connector on it. They both look the same but should not be mixed around. Check that. Pull the sensor out and make sure there is no protective film on the sensor and that the gear looks okay.
Clear the code with your reader, now reset your tcu base settings by putting the ignition to run but do not start, push the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and hold it there for a minimum of five seconds (make sure the floor mats do not stop it from going all the way down), release the accelerator pedal and switch off the ignition.
Go for a drive and test it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts