VW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I am driving and have the A/C on, it blows frosty cold... for a while. Then the compressor disengages. It will not reengage, even though the pressure gets up to over 80 psi on the low side. If the vehicle sits for a while after shutting it off, without doing anything other than shutting the car off and restarting it later, the compressor runs fine until it disengages again. Without a doubt, anyone who has looked at the wiring schematic for this knows how frustrating it is to even look at. Does anyone have some suggestions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, mcrow. That seems to be the general consensus. I'll give it a shot. Napa has the OEM part# for 20 bucks cheaper than the local VW dealership, so that makes it even nicer. I'll let you know what turns up with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice mcrow. I put it up on a rack today and fixed it. Got a little bit of R134A sprayed in my face (which, contrary to popular belief, does NOT taste that great), and a little on my hand, which lucky for me, was gloved. THAT was cold. Start to finish, it took about ten minutes, a #2 Phillips, a 7mm socket on a 1/4" drive ratchet, and one 17mm wrench.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I knew it was too good to be true. It worked phenomenally yesterday. I think I didn't run it long enough to really test it. Today, right out of the gate, the A/C would not work, and I had my wife pull over and pop the hood. I looked down and the compressor was not running. A little while later, we hit the A/C switch, and it fired right up; cold as winter in Antarctica. It still seems like an electrical issue to me, but I could be wrong. Without exploring the possibility that the pressure switch I installed yesterday was bad, do you have anymore suggestions? This is so frustrating, because the hot weather is right around the corner.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
when you turn on the AC....there should be a little orange light lit on the switch...if thats not on then it could be a bad switch or a loose wire on the connector....if it turns on then its nothing withing the switching...meaning probably nothing with the electrical...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it's nothing electrical, then what else do you think I'm looking at? Why would the compressor just shut off out of the blue?... It works great when it works.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fixed

Just to keep you posted... apparently, it needed to run for a few days after replacing that switch, because now it works phenomenally.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts