VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, newbie here...I have searched through the past threads on the subject but cant get a definitive answer to the problem we are having with our 97 Jetta GLS

Basically the alarm goes off after driving and opening the door. The alarm seems to 'arm' itself when we are driving the car. I can see the small red LED flashing beside the lock on the drivers side door...This indicates to us that once we stop and open the door, the alarm will go off.

If the light isn't flashing and we are driving the car, if someone opens a door (or sometimes a window), the alarm is 'armed' and once the door is opened again, alarm will go off...

To stop the alarm the driver has to get out of the car, turn the key in the lock and it stops.

Every once in a while when we are driving the alarm will just go off, for no apparent reason. We live in the Bay area and have to travel alot on bridges. You can imagine the problems we have if the alarm goes off while on the bridge -not just embarrassing but very dangerous.

Another strange behavior is that hot weather and sunshine seems to make the problem worse, the alarm tends to go off everytime you open the door!

Has anyone got any idea as to what could be the problem? Lock mechanism sensors? Im thinking the hot weather issue should be a big clue...? Any help appreciated! :K:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Check the wires in the rubber boot that runs from the door to the door frame. You may have one broken or shorting out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same alarm problem!

I have a 97 Jetta GL. I've been looking and no one seems to have quite the same issue as me but you.

I close the door behind me getting in or out and when the interior of the car is cool enough I can start the car. When it is warm inside my car the alarm beeps when I shut the door. it doesn't lock itself most of the time. if I'm inside I can unlock/open the door & get out without the alarm going off.

Turning the key in the driver door doesn't always work to disarm. Sometimes if the alram is sounding I have to turn it off at the trunk. I've resorted the last few days to leaving the trunk unlocked so the alarm won't arm at all. I can still lock the cabin though.

I thought it might be the sunroof and I unplugged that from the system.. worked for a day but then it started going weird the next day. I thought it was the trunk switch but that doesn't make sense. Today I'm going to look at the wires in the rubber thing between the door & car. I've always wanted to take off the door panel and check the circuit board & all that so that is the next step. the mechanic suggested to take the easy route & bypass the alarm, but that might disable the door lock system. guess that is enough of a motivator to keep it working- I've been spoiled.

What did you do? is it solved?
thx for all the great info on here everyone!

·
Registered
3 Posts
disabled

Hey, just a quick update. we opened the panels last night & in 20 minutes had the alarm disabled & everything cleaned up. no more stress or worry of being stuck somewhere. quite relieved & glad to have saved $50 that I know the mechanic would have charged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts