VW Forum banner

97 jetta glx,vr6 ( misc.elec. bugs)

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  brian856 
#1 ·
1997 jetta glx,vr6. on the test drive the PW worked. on the drive home the cruise worked. never had the heated seats working.

issue 1. the power windows stopped working. the key in the door will still roll them down from outside.inside switches seem dead.front and rear.

issue 2 cruise control dosent seem to work anymore. I ordered the bently manual for the car so im still waiting to find out how these systems are inter-related.

issue 3. heated seats never worked. is this a common problem? does anyone know of a typical cause for this ?

any advice for where to begin trouble shooting these problems would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
Wow.. have a little patience...
if the windows work withthe key, then you may have a bad door switch. do they work from any of the door switches? Do the rear ones work from the console switch?
Cruise units are problematic on MKIII's. Do a search and you should find where I posted a repair for them. If you can't get yours to work, send me a message I have a few that I have repaired.
Heated seats... just put a set in my 98 TDI. On a TDI the same fuse that controls the seats also powers the cruise unit and the backup lights. Do you have backup lights? Did you check the fuse?

#6 ·
ok first of all - my bad- im sorry to be dropping in here with the attitude and I apologise for that. - :oops:

moving on, thanks for jumping in here guys- :K:

none of the interior window switches work interior doors nor center council

yeah my revo lights are out. so that pretty much narrows that down, however the fuse blew for a reason. so I'll have to figure out where the failure in that system is. ( cc likely went out when the seat heat was turned on) the cruise was working. but since the revo lights are out that's 3 systems on one circuit. so that should be a good clue. I'll just get some fuses and see what system pops it. Im guessing its in the seat system though.

#4 ·
wow dude, relax. this is a very small and slow moving website. you're not going to get answers immediately.

cruise control-the module is bad. good luck finding one that isn't. i think of all the mk3's i've had with CC, one worked.

#7 ·
i have a 97 glx too and when i bought it, same problem. i never tried the heated seats. when i realized one day that my back drivers side window didnt work, i called the guy iu bought it from and he told me to come back to his house and get the motor and the frame thing the motor is on. turned out it was dead. cruise control dosent work. neither does heated seats. windows are all broken except sunroof haha. its so expensive to take it anywhere i dont know what to do. but i am trying to replace the speakers and head unit and the manual i bought for a 1997 jetta is all different wiring and i am so lost right now i dont know what to do

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.