VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum.

I have a 98 Jetta 2.0 automatic.

I was driving normally a few days ago when all of sudden my acceleration died and could not move. I had to get a tow home.

These are the things I have done:

New MAF
Tested fuel pressure regulator.
Cleaned out Throttle Body.
Verified my fuel pump is humming.

Still have problem with no acceleration. It will essentially idle well, but as soon as I touch the pedal to give it gas, it dies. It will rise in rpm on gradual increase, but its not enough to get the car to move.

I read somewhere I could disconnect the throttle body from the body harness to drive in limp mode and this is working for me, but I just don't have allot of power.

I would conclude that my throttle body is bad, I justed wanted to get other peoples opinion on this or what I could try before I fork over the money for a new/refurbed throttle body.

Thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
17 Posts
is there a engine light on when the tps is plugged in, or does the engine light come during shifting?

i have a similar problem, but my engine light only comes on when shifting. i bought a used tps and need to take it back and get another.

will update.

also do you have a funky idle?
turn your a/c on if you have it and does your idle get worse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My check light is on, but I have an odometer issue with vehicle speed sensor. It does throw a code for the tps being disconnected.

My idle is fine with a/c on.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Could be a vacuum leak.

Since your CEL is on, I'd highly recommend taking it to Advance, Autozone, or O'Reily to see what the code is. Based on the list of things you've already replaced, the trial and error method is becoming quite expensive. If you need help with the code, post it on this forum and someone will be able to help you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My check light is on, but I have an odometer issue with vehicle speed sensor. It does throw a code for the tps being disconnected.

My idle is fine with a/c on.
ok. the speed sensor would be causing the car not to accelerate when under full load. i had a grand prix gtp did the same thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does the car physically not move forward at all anymore? (You press on the gas pedal and the engine revs up but you don't move).

If so, stop replacing engine parts and look at your transmission/torque converter.

I definitely would not replace the throttle body, as its basically a tube with a plate in it. So unless it is physically destroyed, theres not much to worry about. The vehicle speed sensor is also a non-issue, as that just reads output shaft speed on the transmission and runs the speedometer.

Best first action is to pull the DTC's off a reader from a parts store and go from there.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
ok. the speed sensor would be causing the car not to accelerate when under full load. i had a grand prix gtp did the same thing.
The vehicle speed sensor will not cause any acceleration issues or anything. Now the engine speed sensor is another story.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does the car physically not move forward at all anymore? (You press on the gas pedal and the engine revs up but you don't move).

If so, stop replacing engine parts and look at your transmission/torque converter.

I definitely would not replace the throttle body, as its basically a tube with a plate in it. So unless it is physically destroyed, theres not much to worry about. The vehicle speed sensor is also a non-issue, as that just reads output shaft speed on the transmission and runs the speedometer.

Best first action is to pull the DTC's off a reader from a parts store and go from there.
You haven't seen a vw throttle body then expecaly the ones in the 1990-99 ones

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this forum.

I have a 98 Jetta 2.0 automatic.

I was driving normally a few days ago when all of sudden my acceleration died and could not move. I had to get a tow home.

These are the things I have done:

New MAF
Tested fuel pressure regulator.
Cleaned out Throttle Body.
Verified my fuel pump is humming.

Still have problem with no acceleration. It will essentially idle well, but as soon as I touch the pedal to give it gas, it dies. It will rise in rpm on gradual increase, but its not enough to get the car to move.

I read somewhere I could disconnect the throttle body from the body harness to drive in limp mode and this is working for me, but I just don't have allot of power.

I would conclude that my throttle body is bad, I justed wanted to get other peoples opinion on this or what I could try before I fork over the money for a new/refurbed throttle body.

Thanks.

Jeff
Did you ever get it figured out! Your post helped me get my car home even though mine is a stick shift. Hoping you could tell me what you replaced to fix it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts