Hi, I am new to this discussion group and pretty much new to Volkswagens as well.
I just bought a ’98 2.0L Jetta K2, it has 93k KMs on it.
- first question is it an MK3 or MK4 – a volks mech said it was a newer 98 and therefore same engine as my ’99 Cabrio (yes I have one of those as well) – if that helps at all.
Now for my main question. I had a VW specialist check out the car before I bought it and he said it looked really good. He check ECU codes and there was nothing in memory. Now that I have driven the car though (and bought it) I notice a very obvious rough idle that shakes the car a bit when I leave the car idle for a minute or so.
- any thoughts on what this could be?
- should I be able to pcik up[ something on ECU codes immediately after the problem shows up?
- are the codes accessible without a scope?
- is there info somewhere (maybe on this site) about how to read them?