VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The starter went out, changed it, and it worked fine for a couple of days. I started it up and drove to the end of my street and at the stop sign, it just died. I started it back up with no problem and drove it to the store. No problem. A day or two later my b/f was driving it and it cut off on him when he was pulling into a parking lot. I had it towed to my house because I'm short on the funds to take it to a mechanic. I did notice that when I turn the power on, the fuel gauge is no longer working. All of my fuses look good. It will crank but it will not catch and turn over. Could this be a fuel pump issue? Any insight would be appreciated!.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
the fuel pump would be a good place to start. Have you changed the fuel filter lately? if not give that a try first it is pretty easy to replace. a word of caution don't wear your best clothes.

·
Registered
137 Posts
its generally a good idea to check the fuel pump relay before the fuel pump itself - - its a big square with the number 167 on it on the fuse panel. its easy to find a spare one at a pick-and-pull or they're cheap enough to buy new and not really break the bank (vs. buying a fuel pump :/)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just replace the fuel pump relay and still nothing. Is there a fuse that controls the fuel pump relay that may have gone out? If so, which one. I don't have a manual or anything to refer to because my b/f broke the handle to my glove compartment and now it's locked shut.

·
Registered
137 Posts
how many miles are on the car? could likely be the fuel pump itself if the relay didn't fix it - i had an original fuel pump last me to around 200k miles before it shit the bed (mostly highway miles)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not quite at 200k. Now that I haven't driven it in a few weeks I'm having trouble remembering the precise amount. I think 178 and some change. I have never changed the fuel pump while I've been the owner so I'm guessing it's the original.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts