VW Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Where is this clutch coil?
The clutch coil is located behind the pulley on the front of the compressor.
There are 2 wires that are connected to it. Disconnect the connector and measure the resistance across the 2 wires that go to the compressor clutch coil.

You should see approximately 4 ohms. If its an open circuit, then the clutch coil needs to be replaced.

The connector is pretty easy to get at on a 2.0. It's probably more difficult on your 1.8.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Tested my coil....dead. might try the eBay $40 replacement coil. If it works it works if not then I don't really care.

·
Registered
47 Posts
A/C on my 2001 VR6 not working

Not sure if this is proper forum etiquette, if not let me know and I will start another thread. Here goes - yesterday driving home from work I stopped on way home to pick up a couple things and came back out and started the car and the air was blowing air but not cold. Got home and it looks like the clutch is not engaging on the compressor. Then went in and looked at this forum. Checked some fuses and still don't know what the failure is but it did work yesterday before stopping. Any help would be appreciated, what next? Everything seems to be more difficult on these VR6 - VWs.
Thanks Dave

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Same thing is what happened to me. Was working, now its not. Check the fuses, relays, pressure switches, fan control module and the compressor coil. I just verified that it is my clutch coil that took a dump. Everything else is in working order. Also click that video I linked with my car running. If your car is doing that with the a/c on and the clutch is not engaging...its probably the coil.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I was driving to work yesterday and the a/c was working but not blowing as cold as it had. Also noticed then the temp was running a little hot like about 200. My drive home it didn't work again. I guess my vacation will be spent figuring this POS out.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Tested my coil....dead. might try the eBay $40 replacement coil. If it works it works if not then I don't really care.
I recommend that you get the complete kit with the pulley and front plate. The reason is that the clutch friction material will probably fall out of the front plate when you remove it. You also get a new bearing already installed in the pulley. You can replace and reuse the old pulley, but its very delicate and any distortion of the pulley as a result of removing and installing a new bearing will be catastrophic to the clutch assembly.

I went through this last year with a customers car. The complete kit was about $110 and worked perfect.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Where can I find the complete kit??? I can get a used compressor for $50 from a local import recycler. Was thinking about doing that and just gutting the used and swapping out the stuff. Trying to avoid a evac and recharge.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I got the complete kit from a guy on eBay. It had the coil, front plate, pulley with a new bearing installed, and shims. You should be able to find it searching by keywords on eBay.

If you can get one used, that is also a good option. Bring your meter and test the coil before you buy it. Either way, you can swap out the coil without dumping the freon.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Ok I saw it on eBay then. Thought you might have got it from a vendor or auto parts store.
Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First you shouldn't be in HG as that is vacuum and vacuum in a refrigeration system is bad . Usually means you don't have any refrigerant or a valve is stuck. Also Freon is just a brand of refrigerant made by Dupont , the correct term is refrigerant.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts