VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first VW this week, definatly liking the style
i got a few questions , and this is an open discussion, anyone that has a clue about anything may post

the car i have is a 1999 JETTA 2.0 gls auto tranny, (with no dipstick:mad:)

this car has NO balls at all, no get up and go, no spinning the tires, but the engine seems to be fine, i think the tranny is staying in the lower gears too long allowing the engine to rev way out of the power band, is this a common issue?

another thing i'm trying to understand, these are 4 speed transmissions, correct me if i'm wrong but they do have tcc lockup, which would allow for 5 total gear ratios, am i wrong?

i can only see and feel 4 different rpm changes 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th

at 60mph the rpm's gauge shows 2650rps, and that's on a flat road with no wind. this is not what i am used to from my last car, i feel like the rpm's need to come down. to something like 2,000 rpm, maybe my tcc isn't locking up.

one more mention of the tranny, when switching gears on the shifter, EX. park to drive or drive to reverse , it will take the transmission a few seconds to switch the gears, you can put it in drive and count to three before you can expect to start moving, from what i have read this could be low transmission fluid. but it also may be a common transmission trouble in this car.

last thing, from reading your how too's and other informative recources on the site it turns out that a crack in the coil packs is very uncommon on the 2.0l but mine still has a visible crack, and the computer had a stored misfire code, any possible relation or do these coil packs just crack in unimportant places?

thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
i got a few questions , and this is an open discussion, anyone that has a clue about anything may post

this car has NO balls at all, no get up and go, no spinning the tires, but the engine seems to be fine, i think the tranny is staying in the lower gears too long allowing the engine to rev way out of the power band, is this a common issue?

another thing i'm trying to understand, these are 4 speed transmissions, correct me if i'm wrong but they do have tcc lockup, which would allow for 5 total gear ratios, am i wrong?

at 60mph the rpm's gauge shows 2650rps, and that's on a flat road with no wind. this is not what i am used to from my last car, i feel like the rpm's need to come down. to something like 2,000 rpm, maybe my tcc isn't locking up.

one more mention of the tranny, when switching gears on the shifter, EX. park to drive or drive to reverse , it will take the transmission a few seconds to switch the gears, you can put it in drive and count to three before you can expect to start moving, from what i have read this could be low transmission fluid. but it also may be a common transmission trouble in this car.

last thing, from reading your how too's and other informative recources on the site it turns out that a crack in the coil packs is very uncommon on the 2.0l but mine still has a visible crack, and the computer had a stored misfire code, any possible relation or do these coil packs just crack in unimportant places?

the 2.0l is the slowest motor the most common nickname is 2.slow thats why u cant spin and why it has no balls cuz it never had any.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Your 3 second shift, you're driving an automatic.

And what he said. 2 point slow. I'm going to leave the bashing on 2.0 at that and say. You still own a vw, be proud, they're great.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Also, you probably have traction control so... It's unlikely your tires will spin unless you're on uneven ground of some sort.

But really it's great in the winter... I pull up hill in 6 inches of snow like a boss.
Petal to the floor, fuck yeah, get some.

But there's a button above your radio... Forget what it says on it atm.. But it's by your hazards. It will give you a traction warning.. It turns your traction control off. You still prob won't spin them unless you're on lose gravel to be honest.

2 point slow man.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Maybe when I get the 86 out of my tank I'd run for giggles just to see how much faster yours is. :p

Might be running a honda today. has 1.2k less pound curb weight on it.. manual with 140horse.
Will be interesting but I think I'm going to get smoked. I don't even think my car is utilizing the turbo fully with 86 in it. But it's just fun to compare. Since I'm still basically stock.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts

4 speed means 4 speed. There is no overdrive, technically 4th gear is your OD gear. 2.0s are slow as it gets, they're a gas mileage reliable engine and that's about it. Also, that RPM is pretty accurate for that speed...that's just how smaller displacement motors run. My 1.8T was about the same with a 5 speed manual...Just something you have to get used to.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Come on guys. 2.0's have a little power. I have manuel so it's obviously easier to spin the tires, but you can do it with an automatic. Just need to know what you're doing.

My nephew has a Hyundai accent automatic with no mods (98 HP I think) and he can spin the tires without the rain or hose. So I think a good ol' VW can do it also. :p

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I have the same engine and trans, and you're right. There's no power to it. It's a DD car only (not even the best MPGs). There are a few things you can do with the engine to make it a little better, but with having an automatic it's not worth it. You can do a tune, but with the reputation of the transmission, I wouldn't do much more than that.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Come on guys. 2.0's have a little power. I have manuel so it's obviously easier to spin the tires, but you can do it with an automatic. Just need to know what you're doing.

My nephew has a Hyundai accent automatic with no mods (98 HP I think) and he can spin the tires without the rain or hose. So I think a good ol' VW can do it also. :p
Seriously? No, you can't spin tires on dry pavement because you drive a slow car. If you really wanna try to spin tires, hold in the e-brake with traction control off (although I think the 4 speeds don't have traction control until 2004). Your friend's Hyundai probably doesnt weight over 3000 pounds either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just make it look good! dont worry about speed, mods wont help. just make it beautiful.
make is beautiful seems like a good suggestion, planning on it:K:

but i seem to be in the biggest debate in what rims to get, not to copy you but what kind is that i see on yours? they match the car perfectly! and i'm picky when it comes to rims and contour of the car, its not cool to put any rim on any car, sometimes it just doesn't fit right..

kind of like the previous owner of my car, (who will now be referred to as DipShit) because he spray painted my oem rims gloss black, in the worst case of one coat painting that i have ever seen, he didn't even tape off the tires and you can see where the wheel weights used to be!, haha.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the same engine and trans, and you're right. There's no power to it. It's a DD car only (not even the best MPGs). There are a few things you can do with the engine to make it a little better, but with having an automatic it's not worth it. You can do a tune, but with the reputation of the transmission, I wouldn't do much more than that.
Tom - how bad of a rep do these trannys have? are you saying that i should be driving like a grandma if i expect 200,000 miles out of it?

one last thing, how much work is it to swap a more powerful setup into these cars? are the engines and wiring harnesses all universal?

what about then engines and transmissions? can i bolt a 1.8t to a manual transmission and drop it in my jetta that currently has a 2.slow auto?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Like everyone said its a 2.slow so performance is not the first thing that comes to mind when dealing with them

If you want to swap a more powerful engine as the 1.8t it would phisicaly fit without any modifications but the electrical would need to be swaped from the donor car to make it work

1 - 20 of 27 Posts