VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 questions that have been plauging me. 1 has a story and the other doesn't. They both deal with Jetta's, so if you know a Jetta guru, please direct him to this topic.

I went to my place of work, a Grocery Store, to check my schedual and talk to some friends. I know a guy who owns a 2000 Jetta. Nobody likes him because hes very arrogant and has way too much self esteem for his own good. Anyways, I asked him how he obtained his Jetta, through a private dealer or off a car lot. He kept rambling on about how he got it from a private dealer then proceeded to ask why I wanted to know. I told him I wanted a Golf or a GTI. I know he didn't know what a GTI was, because he skipped right past it and asserted himself and his own opinion about why I shouldn't get a Golf. His reasoning? Because it was new'er than his Jetta and it ran just as well. So its pointless to get it... what the fuck kind of reasoning is that? I know he didn't know what he was talking about. So my questions follow.

Pros vs Cons of Jetta VS Golf/GTI. I'm partial to hatchbacks.

Why are Jetta to GTI conversions so popular(engine wise)?

I know one isn't a question, but think of it as one. Thanks a ton guys. And don't worry, I'll be doing my own research.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Pros/Cons Jetta vs. Golf
1. Weight, golf is lighter
2. 2door/4door-4 door golfs are harder to come by
3. Both have same engines...

As for the 2nd question, do you mean Getta/JTI conversions, if so they include only the front clip, not the whole (Engine) front end of the car. They are a basic bolt on and give the car a modded look for almost free (If trade is done).

Are you more intrested in Mk1/2/3 or 4? Each has its own sets of pros and cons.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
Pros/Cons Jetta vs. Golf
1. Weight, golf is lighter
2. 2door/4door-4 door golfs are harder to come by
3. Both have same engines...

As for the 2nd question, do you mean Getta/JTI conversions, if so they include only the front clip, not the whole (Engine) front end of the car. They are a basic bolt on and give the car a modded look for almost free (If trade is done).

Are you more intrested in Mk1/2/3 or 4? Each has its own sets of pros and cons.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks a lot. I'm interested in Mk 2 or 3, and possibly 4. I'll end up with a 2 or 3 though, most likely.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OneManLan:
...Pros vs Cons of Jetta VS Golf/GTI. I'm partial to hatchbacks...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good Choice!
(I'm a little partial though...)

Well, as far as Mk4's are concerned, you can get both with the same engines, transmissions, and even sport packages (with the new Jetta GLI). So the real difference is appearance and practicality.

Jetta is 4-door sedan. Golf has four doors. Golf/GTI has massive storage space (with seats folded down.) Jetta has plenty of room as well.

Anyway, just drive and see which one you like best. Your cash, your choice.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm kinda partial to the mkII's myself. They are fairly easy to find and you can get yourself a nice one for under 2g's. As far as jetta vs. GTI, it's really your personal preference. The GTI's are lighter and probable the more common choice for the vw enthusiast. They seem to cost slightly more on average too. If you're handy with a wrench and like performance over luxury than I would suggest a mkII jetta or GTI. They are probably the most bang for the buck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dhuntervw:
I'm kinda partial to the mkII's myself. They are fairly easy to find and you can get yourself a nice one for under 2g's. As far as jetta vs. GTI, it's really your personal preference. The GTI's are lighter and probable the more common choice for the vw enthusiast. They seem to cost slightly more on average too. If you're handy with a wrench and like performance over luxury than I would suggest a mkII jetta or GTI. They are probably the most bang for the buck.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not really handy with the wrench, but I have friends who are, and I am trying to become that way. Anyways, I'll consider everything you guys have said.

Thanks you all very much for your opinions and facts that you have submitted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts