VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some questions here for you all: (2000/VR6/GTI)
1) Does the VR6 timing chain last the life of the vehicle? Or is there maintenance required?
2) Should I go to Midas (lifetime warranty) for new exhaust or stick with the dealer?
3)My car has 67,000 miles on it and original plugs. It runs great still. Should I change them?
4) I have been stingy lately and been using 89 octane gas in it. I haven't noticed any change in mileage or performance degradation. Am I being silly by doing this though? What's the REAL story on using 89 octane in the VR6 engine. Obviously it's calibrated for 91 octane, but I don't see any difference when I use 89.

Thanks all

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Timing chain will most likely need to be replaced once. I think for the 1.8t its around 90k miles , not sure for vr6.
Avoid the chain muffler shops. Stick with OEM or spend the money for aftermarket. Running 89 wont do harm. Just when you can, make sure to run 91. Your engine will be much happier with you.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Keep the oil changed, and the chain will last a very long time, perhaps forever. I run synthetic oil to keep mine nicely well lubricated at all times.

Get a good bolt-on catback exhaust. Don't waste your time going to Midas unless they are installing a Magnaflow system for you (which I believe they sell).

Spark Plugs should be changed every 40,000 miles, so change them ASAP!

I always run my VR6 on Premium, even when it wasn't chipped....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here are some more questions about the VR6
1. Non-dealer oil changes. I've only been to the dealer for the scheduled maintenance since it's still free. Jiffy Lube said that only a dealer could change the oil on a 2001 VR6. What's the story?
2. Passenger side vent. In the cold weather, my fan clicks audibly from the passenger side vent underneath the dash. But it doesn't click if I have it in recirculate mode. Any thoughts?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by killi:
Here are some more questions about the VR6
1. Non-dealer oil changes. I've only been to the dealer for the scheduled maintenance since it's still free. Jiffy Lube said that only a dealer could change the oil on a 2001 VR6. What's the story?
2. Passenger side vent. In the cold weather, my fan clicks audibly from the passenger side vent underneath the dash. But it doesn't click if I have it in recirculate mode. Any thoughts?
Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The deal is they suck. OK just kidding - I don't know what their deal is. I changed my own oil and it's not that tough. Maybe they don't have the right oil filter or somethign? I would reccommend having it done at the dealership anyway b/c I'm sure they'd just charge you extra for the filter anyway.

·
Registered
414 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
Timing chain will most likely need to be replaced once. I think for the 1.8t its around 90k miles , not sure for vr6.
Avoid the chain muffler shops. Stick with OEM or spend the money for aftermarket. Running 89 wont do harm. Just when you can, make sure to run 91. Your engine will be much happier with you.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ummm, its every 50k on a 1.8t unless you like taking expensive risks.

If you want an exhaust go aftermarket.
Avoid chain oil changing places and keep it changed every 3k - 5k with synthetic to keep it running strong.
Use premium unless you can't afford it, you may not notice the difference but over time it will take its toll on the engine and sensors.
Change your spark plugs.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
hate to say it, but if your car had feelings, it would be in pain right now.

I changed my plugs after 50K and they lots their gap a LOT, so I would be afraid to see them after 67K.

VR6: minimum 91 Octane. Not worth hurting the engine for the 7 or 8 cents a gallon. You might not see a difference now, but in the future it could hurt the engine.

Where in CT are you from? If you're close to MA I can give you directions to a good exhaust place that I got mine done, they are cheap too. Cost me under $550 for a 2.5" manifold back system with a borla muffler, high flow cat, and high flow resonator. You can get the cat-back done for a couple hundred.

...and Killi: Jiffy Lube = bad! They used recycles oil, not new oil.

[ January 28, 2004: Message edited by: Straz85 ]

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
when you finish filling up the difference between those 5 cent will end up being like a dollar or 2... not that big of a deal.. you can afford it. you just dont want to

i bet every place uses recycled oil(to a certain degree)... even if you go to autozone and buy it urself... all oil is not new

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
philmeister. welcome to the vwf!
answers
1. The timing chain in the vr6s should be changed every 100,000 miles.
2. No, do not to got Midas. Goto a reputable shop that does good work for your exhaust. Get a custom cat-back system. Find a muffler you like.
3. Change your plugs.
4. I have been using 89 oct every day since I got my car (50k-87k+). I have heard that as long as your engine doesn't knock, you're ok. But I probably should be using 91. I will from now on.

killi. welcome
answers:
1. Don't go to Jiffy lube. They are idiots. Goto a trusted garage that won't try to rip you off, and give you a line of bullshit. The only reason they may have not been able to change your oil would be if they didn't have your filter in stock.
2. I'm not sure about your fan problem. best of luck.

[ January 29, 2004: Message edited by: silverGTI ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts