VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to upgrade my shocks now that i've already done the springs and wheels. i know, i know! shoulda done it all at once but i didnt. Slap me around and call me Susan!

Anyway, its down to Koni or Bilsteins; I know they are really close in quality and all that. Is there anything I should know to help me make the right choice?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
Decided to upgrade my shocks now that i've already done the springs and wheels. i know, i know! shoulda done it all at once but i didnt. Slap me around and call me Susan!

Anyway, its down to Koni or Bilsteins; I know they are really close in quality and all that. Is there anything I should know to help me make the right choice?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bilstein is generally a little cheaper. I do love the ability of adjustable dampening though with my Koni's, and feel it was well worth the extra $$$. Just this past weekend I tightened the rears up the whole way to match the fronts that were at full stiff for quite some time now, and man what a difference. You can loosen them up too, and it is sooo smooth then. They both have the same warantees too. I would get Koni again if I had to do it again just because I like to tinker with things, and the adjustability lets me do just that.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
i heard bilsteins were better. Thats what ill be gettin when i get new shocks.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm leaning towards the Koni for the same reasons Big Dong mentioned. I've search all over the place and I come up with is a matter of preference. Also, whats the difference between Bilstein HD and Sport?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
I'm leaning towards the Koni for the same reasons Big Dong mentioned. I've search all over the place and I come up with is a matter of preference. Also, whats the difference between Bilstein HD and Sport?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bilstein HD is not made for as high of a spring rate. They are more of a OEM replacement. Bilstein sport is valved higher which accomodates sport or race spring rates better. Get the sport if you want Bilstein.

As for the Koni not being as good as Bilstein, I would love to see some empirical data proving this and why. They are the same for the most part, one is adjustable one is not, I know many people winning sanctioned SCCA events on both. You can swap more springs on the Koni's because of the adjustability, and aftermarket vlaving and tuning of the strut is more readily available. They both have lifetime warranties so who cares if they blow out 100,000 down the road? They are both good choices, but to say one is "better" than the other is simply opinion. I just like adjustability.

Anyhow, the best pricing I have seen so far for Koni are as follows.

$526 for them through www.shox.com. This is where I bought both sets of Koni's that I have purchased. Truly awesome customer services, and they almost always have them in stock, most other suppliers will not tell you when they are out of stock, and these guys will.

I have also heard that Grove Motorsport has awesome deals on the Koni's, and I have seen the prices as low as $435+ shipping there. There website is http://grovemotorsport.9f.com check them out and call them to see what they can do for you, you might save some $$$.

There are about half a dozen others that sell them, but usually they are getting them from www.shox.com and uplifting the price. Cut out the middle man, and get them from Grove or shox.com.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
I have never been in a car with Koni's, but I can tell you that I do love my Bilstein's. I am not saying that they are necessarily better than Koni, just giving you my thoughts about them.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I love my bilsteins (sports). When I was looking around, I heard excellent things about bilsteins, thats why I went with them. I didnt hear much about koni. I didnt know they were that low a price (and high of quality). bilstein makes an adjustable coilover (pss9), but they are expensive (around $1200). hope this helps raf.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Toyota TRD team is using Bilstein as well.

However Raf, you got H&R Springs, you should have though about it and gotten the H&R Coilover kit.

And oh yeah:

Common I want to hear somebody knock this product.

But before you do look at what Ferrari and Porsche rolls out of the factory with.

[ June 17, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
The coilovers would be nice, but they lower the car so much they are not practical. I believe he drives his car in the winter, lowering it 2.5" would not do well in the snow.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:
[QB]look at what Ferrari and Porsche rolls out of the factory with.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They come on dubs too as of the 04' line.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
The coilovers would be nice, but they lower the car so much they are not practical. I believe he drives his car in the winter, lowering it 2.5" would not do well in the snow.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, I drive er year round. I can't do that much of a drop even if I did, north jersey/NYC streets would eat me alive.

[ June 17, 2003: Message edited by: RafCarre12 ]

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
The coilovers would be nice, but they lower the car so much they are not practical. I believe he drives his car in the winter, lowering it 2.5" would not do well in the snow.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The greatest thing about the coilovers beside the precision is the fact that you can adjust them (unless you are a ricer and buy KUNG-FU Coils LOL ).

The ones in the pic (I posted above) can go between 1.8" to 3" which is rather SICKENNING isn't it?

Here's how it works.

Google this (actually straight from H&R baby):

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>
H&R COIL OVER
Engineered for street and occasional track use, H&R Coil-Overs feature a fully-threaded shock body (not an imitation sleeve-over) that allows you to precisely dial in height adjustment to achieve optimum weight transfer, or simply get the aggressive look you've been looking for. Featuring H&R's exclusive dynamic damper technology, each shock is engineered to work in harmony with a progressive-rate spring, together creating a finely-tuned suspension system.

H&R PCS COIL OVER
Coil over suspension is the ultimate expression of high-performance handling, and now H&R Special Springs takes this technology to the next level with its new PCS Coil Overs. Like H&R's original Coil-Overs, PCS Coil-Overs are engineered for street use, but have a number of new features designed for the enthusiast who desires a manual shock dampening feature.

In addition to state-of-the-art inverted damper technology and adjustable ride height, PCS Coil Overs feature an external adjustment knob that allows the user to simultaneously adjust rebound and compression. Nose-diving under hard breaking is virtually eliminated, which effectively reduces braking distance. And unlike traditional twin-tube shock absorbers, H&R's mono-tube gas shock absorbers eliminate foaming of the damper oil, even under extreme conditions.

H&R RSS CLUB SPORT COIL OVER
RSS Club Sport Coil Overs, are designed for the committed motorsport enthusiast who is willing to relinquish some ride comfort in return for ultimate handling performance. The firmest coil-over in the H&R street line, the RSS is the choice for weekend track and club sport events.

Equally at home on street or track, H&R coil-overs provide enhanced performance, improved corner-holding ability and a sleek, aggressive stance-without the bone-jarring ride of some less-advanced suspension systems. All H&R coil-overs are hand-assembled in Germany to rigid ISO 9001 and German TÜV standards.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Delivery Completed.

[ June 18, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts