VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 86 Jetta GL and it's got air conditioning and i want to rid of it because i don't use it and I want to free up som weight and ponies. Does anyone know anybody who as done it or makes a kit that removes that but keeps the pully there??? Thanks

·
Registered
349 Posts
hey i have seen this done and from what i've seen the alternator is just swung down into the position of the ac compressor. then the belt just goes to the altrnator instead of the ac. you may have to get a different pulley for the alternator because the belt line will be off. good luck.

·
Registered
526 Posts
you have to take off the alternator and take out the ac compressor. youll have to grind down the bracket to the alternator in the lower position. you might also have to grind the block or the fan part so that it doesnt hit. you dont need a pully but you might have to grind it out a little bit because the belts are a lil different in size. it might work though without grinding. us the belt that was from the ac to hook up to where the alternators new location is.any questions shoot me an email

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
The best way to do it is find a junkyard car the same as yours. I mean power steering and stuff like that. then take the brackets and the pulley. There are a few different pullies so that i've been told is the hardest thing. Finding the right one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
it is pretty easy send me an email and i will give you pulley numbers. there is no need to grind anything. you will also need different belts also.i might also have the pulleys as i changed a friends car from none ac to ac. are you going to get rid of the stuff under the dash also.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my email is [email protected]

i'm not sure if i want to get rid off all the stuff under the dash. the only thing i looking for right now is to free up some power

1 - 6 of 6 Posts