VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking of an intake setup for my car like this: stock airbox, K&N drop in, with the ABD big bore intake tube. i was just wondering is the ABD tube really worth $150? i know it looks a lot better, but hp wise is it worth getting or should i just leave the stock tube there? i am also open to other intake setups that you might think would be better (except for a real CAI, b/c they are a little out of my price range)...thanks

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I didn't know all the real CAI setups were much more tha $150. I figured you could pick up a decent one for about $200.00 - maybe not - I'd have to look into it more.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tom i think you're thinking of intakes like the p-flo, which is just an open filter with a heat shield. i've heard nothing but bad things about these, especially the neuspeed, and can even produce less hp. the real CAIs that i was referring to are ones like Carbonio, which go down behind the battery, and are closer to $300.

[ January 20, 2004: Message edited by: 2 point slow ]

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
No, you can get a CAI for $150-$200, most of them won't run you more than that actually. The Carbonio will run you a little more because it's carbon fiber. Most people will tell you they are mostly the same though, it's just price and looks.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
EVOMS CAI one of the top 2(With Carbonio) for 220$ ABS plastic so no Heat Soaking of the tube. I have a used one for sale...PM me if u want more info.

Intake Poll

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Id say they would be very close. ± 2/3 hp.
CAI will yield a higher gain in the summer mounths and provide a better, deeper sound. But the stock box w/ K&N would be very close to being just as affective. And since the price is so close, personally id go with the CAI.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I have seen the Evolution Motorsports intake down at their shop and it looks nice! Also, they are all cool guys...

just tryin' to give them props...

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Honestly, without other mods, I don't think a CAI will provide you with any performance gains. I don't have any proof, but my theory is that when it is sunny outside, airbox temps will be lower than radiant temps 6-8" off the pavement surface. I think for the money there are better routes to take, but this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
You aren't going to notice big gains at all w/ a intake. Maybe 5hp, but that isn't a big enough gain to feel. Save the money for something that will make you fast like a turbo or nitrous, or something like suspension. If you must have a CAI, check out the velocity one, located at www.thecableshack.com. All CAI's are the same, and you can get one from them for about $130 or so. This is what I have but if I hadn't gotten it for free I would have never paid for it.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Dong:
All CAI's are the same, and you can get one from them for about $130 or so. This is what I have but if I hadn't gotten it for free I would have never paid for it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All are the same? Logicly the evoms one seems superior too me. Made of ABS plastic, i wouldnt think it would get as hot as a normaml metal one? so the charge would auctually not be Cold air in the piping is hot. On his 2.0, there is no difference, it doesn't get as hot as it does in a 1.8t engine bay.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Ryan. If I were you, just get a k&n drop in and swiss cheese your air box:
swiss cheese how-to
the "swiss-cheesing" will give you a deeper sound. and from what I have heard, the k&n filter is about the same as a cai for a lot less money, and easier get to in order to clean/recharge the filter.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
All are the same? Logicly the evoms one seems superior too me. Made of ABS plastic, i wouldnt think it would get as hot as a normaml metal one? so the charge would auctually not be Cold air in the piping is hot. On his 2.0, there is no difference, it doesn't get as hot as it does in a 1.8t engine bay.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can beat the crap out of my car...literally run 10+ 1/4 mile passes back to back in 90 degree weather, and pop the hood and the pipe is cold to the touch on my aluminum Velocity intake. The only reason different CAI's might not be the same would be fitment....they are all pulling air from the same spot.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'd say if you are going to "swiss cheese" it, i would do just one good size hole in the side. At leats that's what i did on my 89 jetta, and it sounded real good (only a 1.8 no other mods). It seemed like the more holes the less throaty it sounded, but hey that could just have been the old jetta. The one problem i've heard of from a CAI is that if you have a lot of rain and snow that it will suck the water into the intake, not sure how true, i had a p-flow on my jetta.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>If I were you, just get a k&n drop in and swiss cheese your air box:
swiss cheese how-to
the "swiss-cheesing" will give you a deeper sound. and from what I have heard, the k&n filter is about the same as a cai for a lot less money, and easier get to in order to clean/recharge the filter. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
would the ABD add anything to this setup ? i guess this is what i was really asking in the first place....

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
Will make a deeper sound, and give u, mabye 1,2 hp.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

2hp!!! Sh!t!!! I'm doing it!!! hehe. I guess the sound could make it worth it though

·
Registered
453 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Dong:
All CAI's are the same, and you can get one from them for about $130 or so. This is what I have but if I hadn't gotten it for free I would have never paid for it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not all CAI are the same, in fact, not all CAI are truely CAI! The ideal set up is to have cold air source and to have the shortes straightest setup possible. I have a BMC CDA installed on my volvo and a freedom design intake on dub. The FD is just like P-Flow and is a short ram intake and not a CAI, it sounds good! Thats about it! The CDA is GREAT! It is also very expensive!

I only have two bends in my intake, a 45* and a 90*, two less bends then OEM setup.
PS. They do make the CDA for the VR6 and the 1.8T engines, they run about 250-270 USD.

[ January 27, 2004: Message edited by: gdogg16 ]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts