VW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whell,i dont know out to put this in other words...my car hummms backing up,and looks like something is going to break,and when going forward,it humms a litle in 1st and 2nd gear.what can this be?!
HidRo

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mine hmms in reverse. A buddy of mine, who is a ASE Mechanic, said it was the tranny sincros going out

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
trannys syncros was told to me also that was my problem.in reverse,it humms like hell.its like something is rubing on the ground or so.but in forward motion,its only in 1st and 2nd,but it doesn't do all the time!!i just dont know!

[ October 08, 2003: Message edited by: HidRo ]

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
a wheel beraing would most lily hummm all the time. and wouldn't matter if it was in reverse or not would be the same. It's almost gotta be a tranny problem. either have it built or get another unit from a junkyard. Unless somoen else can think of somthing i'm missing.
I just thought of somthing. When you push in the clutch between first and second does it go away or quiet a little. If it does then it's deffinetly the tranny.

[ October 08, 2003: Message edited by: 89jettawolfs ]

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it only does it for a litle while in 1st and 2nd!bearing and tranny are odd choices!!i cant get a clue what can it be!!damn,its driving me crazy.but in reverse its the worst!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
it really sounds like the tranny is DEAD!!! I would go find another one very quickly because it sounds like it will not last much longer

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok then...whats the tranny!?how much could it cost!?new and in junk yard.the gti16v is difrent from all the others!?or can i use from other,maybe even from a mk3.
tell me everything
thx a lot

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
the tranny is the gearbox. you can use most of them, but somone correct me if i'm wrong but mk3 and up along with the g60 were cable shift trannies. early vw's were all rod shifted. you can change to the cable shift but it takes some mods. I would go to a junkyard and get one like the one you have. You said it's a 16v right? so just get a 16v tranny and swap it in for the other one. But you didn't answer my earlier question. Does it sound the same whne you push in the clutch or quieter?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
recent news about the gearbox.when jumping the engine around(acc and deacc sequencialy) the engine or the gearbox does a noise,that looks like something is pounding the gearbox!!!i can even feel it in the gear knob!!!!what can this be!!??

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok,then, tranny = gearbox
this things happen to a non-english guy

sorry i didnt answer.its the same noise.it doesnt quiet if i press the clutch,because it doesnt do the noise whenn not running!only when i go forward or backwards,the noise comes to life!im thinking,maybe a engine mount.i only have one left to switch.the one in the front,the other ones are new!could the engine mount do this kind of things!?
thx a lot for the replys!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
exactly,today i was going around with my wheels,and i think,i dont have full certain,but i think that with the clucth in,it quiets...but is it to dangerous to ride my car like this!?any possibility that it can break and get me killed!?
HidRo

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
if it quiets it's deffinetly the tranny. It won't get you killed but it can give out and leave you stranded. it you don't wanna take it apart and rebuild it you'll probably save some money by jusyt picking a used on up from a junkyard. god luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts