VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear VW members! In a matter of days I will purchase a 16v 1987 Scirocco that has been stored for five years.... This is not to worry, it has been stored in an OK place and only shows a few places with rust, like the door handle and the front of the hood. This car has been owned by two sisters, from one to the next and cared for at the local VW agency. My question is this, when prompted why the owner decided to garage the car for tinkering at a later time, she said that the fuel injection started having problems making the car not reliable enough to be driven everyday. The car has 107,000 miles and has all the documentation on services done to it at the agency. It has also not been started or moved for the past year. It is quite cheap, $1000, but is it worth it? Interior is in great shape, no dings or bumps and it seems it was well cared for. Any thoughts? What would be the right way to start it up and try to get it going again?

Thanks!

·
Rusty MK2/MK3 Pimp
808 Posts
CIS injection I believe, see HERE. If it runs and runs like crap, that is probably the issue. There is a big mess of lines on top of the airbox, like a mechanical mass air flow meter. That is usually the problem. Once you get it, let us know how it sounds and runs. I may be able to help. Oh and it is WELL worth it to buy for $1000.

Nadeem

·
Registered
10 Posts
m,

1. Recheck for RUST! :y:
2. Carfax never hurts... see if a buddy/coworker picked up the 30 day edition.
3. Sitting? How long? Bad gas can/will wreak havoc on your fuel delivery.... at least a tank drain may be in order if over a year.
4. Compression test.
5. Leakdown test.
6. Enjoy the 16V goodness.

Mach Schnell,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will do all of the stuff mentioned above, as a quick note, was reading up on the CIS, had only worked on the Digifant...., and found out that it is a simple system that is almost bulletproof when tuned right....
It has been sitting for about five years and I do believe the gas will be the biggest problem, how do I drain the gas tank? Do I have to drop it and then clean it out?
... The rust is not a big issue, some here and there, good idea on the Carfax!
Thanks a lot for the help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a 87 16v scirocco for $1000...well worth it ....my car has 170K on it and still runs great...no noticable problems hope you figure it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts