VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 Jetta 1.8T AC is giving me fits. When the compressor comes on the AC is nice and cold. Problem is that it isn't on very much. Today was a good example. No AC for about the first 30 min drive to get an oil change (local driving). Next 40 min highway drive, AC only got cold for the last 20 minutes and then started to warm up before I got to work. Drove to auto parts place at lunch, AC cold from start to finish. No AC all the way back to work.

So, this evening I started the car with the hood up and watched. Compressor wouldn't engage. Pushed the AC button a couple of times and clutch engages. Compressor stayed on for 7 minutes and ice cold air. Clutch then disengaged and immediately both fans went to high speed for about 5 minutes with warm air out the vents. Fans cycled back to low speed and compressor clutch engaged again for about 2 minutes this time. Fans to high speed again for 3 minutes, then compressor engaged for only a minute. Each time the compressor shut down, both fans would go to high revs. The minute they would go to low speed, the compressor clutch would engage and I'd get nice cold air..

Just had the expansion valve replaced and r134a charged by and AC shop. Everything seemed to be working well (but I had the on/off AC problem before that and I couldn't' get the AC on at all before I took the car to the shop). Of course, just as I was getting to the shop, it started blowing cold air.

Not sure whether I'm looking at an electrical problem or what. Just seems odd that both fans suddenly speed up and slow down and it the compressor engages only on low speed.

The only other odd thing I've noticed is that cold or hot, as soon as I turn the ignition on (engine off), one fan continually starts cycling on and off. It does that continuously. I've checked the fuses on top of the battery and they all look fine. No appreciable drop in RPMs when the compressor engages. Fan control module?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check your freon level/pressure. Sounds like the high or low switch is disengaging the compressor clutch. This is normal of you have too little or too much freon in the system.
Just had it re-charged a week ago - pressures were fine but expansion valve needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then I would say it is the compressor or you have a leak and pressure is dropping. If it stops completely soon I say the later.
Hard to believe it is a leak since when it does work it is ice cold. But, I'm thinking maybe the compressor as well. I just can't understand why the condenser fan starts running the minute I turn to accessory or ignition with the engine off. Just seems electrical to me. But, hooked up VCDS and absolutely no codes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts