VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am a 2003 Jetta GLI owner since 2005. My Jetta had little problems until this spring when I lost the accelerator. I brought it to a local mechanic who had it over 1 month. He had the computer replaced and reset with a used unit. He replaced the cam position sensor and timing belt. The accelerator returned, but I could not accelerate over 3100 RPM without having the transmission shift to a lower gear. I had to bring it below 3100 RPM to get it to upshift again. I drove it that way for about three weeks when the accelerator failed again. After spending $800 and over 1 month without my car, I need help to avoid these problems again. I am getting fault codes: P1338, P0141, P2181, P1639, P1631, P1634, P1171 and 00777.
Thanks!
Burford from Michigan

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Two of those codes are for bad reading from the pedal. The wires to the pedal need to be tested and then if everything checks out the pedal should be replaced. It has two sensors in it.

Your mechanic didn't completely screw you he had the right idea, it could have been ECM related. But he should have checked the signal wires to and from the ECM before replacing it(if he didn't).
If the pedal, wire and ECM are okay it's probably your throttle body but I doubt it.

I would rule out transmission or transmission control module for now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
d have to agree with shameless il beel looking at the pedel my337 just gave me the same code. the pedel position signal low or inoperative was the code. cleared it and it came back im replacing it when it comes in. and the 3100 is limp mode id be getting the codes cleared again and see what comes back

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

I forgot to mention that the ECM dash light came on both times I have had this problem. The mechanic also replaced the accelerator pedal twice. Is it time to part this puppy out? Oh, by the way, the mechanic will not return my phone calls :)
Thanks to both of you for your help!
burford

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
The wires could be done. He could have used non standard parts etc.

Sounds like he isn't answering cause he doesn't know what's going on with it. The least he could do is point you to someone who does.
I would find a vw/audi speciality shop with vag com and have them really go through the ecm and tcm codes.
It will tell incorrect signals and voltages and they will be able to pinpoint wires and what may need to be replaced. The generic codes say pedal but there could be a lot more going on.
The way the transmission shifts is backwards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts