VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be installing a new head unit and talked to the vw shop. They told me the warranty wouldn't be voided if i got an adapter harness so i don't have to cut any wires. I guess the cars computer has fits if you cut wires. Anyway, i've only been able to find them on the web from UK based stores. Anyone know where i can get one here in the states?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey; dunno what year your car is, but I have a 2002 and it's a nightmare. Turns out the geniuses designed the 2002's with the double DIN headunit being tacked on to the system computer, which means if you take out the headunit, you mess up the diagnostics at the dealership. Not only that, but the CD player is controlled by computer, not just power, which means there are no harnesses or adapters available aftermarket. This means you have to hardwire the heaunit to your car, which is all well and good except everytime you take it in for service you have to take out the damn thing, cut wires, then put it back in and solder it upon getting the car back. Not worth it, in my opinion. I've been waiting for an adapter to come out since this summer but no luck....grrr.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I think it only applys to 2002 on b/c thats when they switched to the double din unit.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have a '00 and I can use the metra harness 70-1784 to simply plug in a new radio. I'll try to get back to the shop and talk with my boy to see if he knows anything about the double din units for ya'll.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yah, only for the 2k2's. Though I've heard that some dealerships won't work on your car if you have an aftermarket head (for 1999.5 - 2001 Jettas and Golfs). Though at least that's easy, because they make harnesses for those. With a double din you're shit out of luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2000 Golf and have installed a blaupunkt head unit. Radio harnesses are available at alot of my local stereo specialty shops. If your local shops don't have it in stock they should be able to get you one within a day or two. And price it only cost me 15.95

·
Registered
676 Posts
OK, here's the word (this comes from a service manager at Dover, DE VW shop). Apparently with the 2002 models on up, especially you guys with the double din radio the ECU is wired in with your radio. The reason why most if not all dealerships WILL NOT take in your car for service is because we all know they use their ECU diagnostic machine for any reason on our cars. If you have an aftermarket radio in instead of the factory radio somehow with the proper connections missing it literally fries their machine. Nuff said we understand why figuring these machines cost an arms, @$$ and a leg.

Now if you are interested, cause I was told it will apply with my 2000 Jetta as well, there is a way to rewire some of the key electrical parts of your radio harness so that it won't do that. Now this doesn't mean in any way that the dealer can't look at your aftermarket radio and still refuse service because he cannot trust 'your' rewiring job. My dealer told me that they know how to set it up for me and then i can still come in and not worry about putting back in my old stereo. The thing is I want him to show me so that I could put it out there for you guys as well. Let you know when I get time to go over to his house to get it done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts