VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my 50K tuneup today and dealer said my rear brake pads had about a week left and quoted me $212 to replace just the rears. Figured I could find a better price and more choices online and I ended up getting Brembo's. Got both the front and rear for $130.

I checked with the dealer when I picked up my car and he said my rotors were fine. From everything I can tell the brake pads match up with the rotors etc. I should be okay for the moment just adding the brake pads to the stock rotors correct? I'm not referring to having the rotors resurfaced.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Do t expect much more life out of them. I just replaced my stock rotors at 70,000 miles. Fronts were replaced at 60,000.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do t expect much more life out of them. I just replaced my stock rotors at 70,000 miles. Fronts were replaced at 60,000.
Yeah but will the rotors work with the Brembo's for the moment? I fully intend to purchase new rotors and calipers in another 10K miles.

Also got an H&R touring cup on the way

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
You should be fine. The only thing is if the rotors have uneven wear or scoring. It will affect how the new pads bed in. When I change brakes I always do both pads and rotors or have the rotors cut.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should be fine. The only thing is if the rotors have uneven wear or scoring. It will affect how the new pads bed in. When I change brakes I always do both pads and rotors or have the rotors cut.
Yeah i intend to buy both front and back rotors within the next 10K miles. I figure they probably won't last much longer anyways since I am approaching 60k

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had identical issue. I had to replace the rear pad at 70,000 miles. The front have been fine. since I carry a full trunk of tools , I suppose the extra weight has something to do with it.
Just bought a set of aftermarket cross drilled rotors which will be used with New OEM pads within 5,000 miles. car just passed 195,000 miles with original front brakes.Only modification is duct cooling to improve air flow around the rotors.
You would think front brakes would work harder than rear, something to do with bias make it eat rear brakes more than front?

·
Registered
82 Posts
FYI:
Front calipers piston, you can push them back into caliper.
Rear calipers piston must be screwed back CW to clear new pads

·
Registered
82 Posts
Aftermarket rotors & pads

Quick followup on rotor replacement:
I installed ECS cross drilled all around , the front is pretty much plug & play, minimum tools required (allen 7mm & torx 25). The rear required a tool I did not have , a 12 point 14mm socket to remove the brake carrier, plus the fact you must installed new bolts when reinstalling the carrier. There is very little place to insert the socket, from under the suspension arm, and the fact the bolts have rusted somewhat makes them uneasy to remove.
Back plates were also removed to improve air flow.After using them for a few thousand miles, on the scenic roads of TN/KY, I am happy to report the slight delay I had in the rain before the brakes bit on the rotors is no longer there, so instant response rain or shine. The car has reach 202,000 miles and running strong.
Cheers,:cool:

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts