VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gimme some random notes and tips and stuff for doing a top end swap with my 8v --> 16v. Figure that will help me out a little bit. I'd like maybe some prices of parts..what order to get them in..just general info or maybe point me to a GOOD DYI thread somewhere. I could always go search the "web" but I want to find GOOD info not some dumb bs...thanks yall

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,441 Posts
you just cant put a 16v head on an 8v bottom end. wont work. your best bet is to do an entire engine swap. cheaper, faster, and will be better in the long run. reason you want to do a top end?

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,441 Posts
16v's can be had pretty cheap too. i would honestly do that. find a complete part out, take the 9a or 4k tranny, all 16v's came with the 100mm axles. some 9a's like mine came with 100's. you need the fuel dizzy, dash cluster, also you can grap the front brake setup. 16v's have bigger brakes. 16v's also have rear discs. i had a plan to do this before i ended up selling mine. jump in the scirocco section on vortex. them guys know their stuff. plus no bs there. just straight scirocco tech.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
only reason i wanted to do just top end is because i'm tired of pulling motors lol i'm gettin lazy...But if a motor swap would be the "easiest" then I guess i'll have to start shopping around for my pieces and parts...damn...

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
If i remember correctly, if you put the 16v head on an 8v block, you get stupid high compression, and 8v head on 16v block gets stupid low compression.. or it's vice versa, I can't remember right now. But there is a way to do it, but it's not cheap. I saw the parts list/diy on vortex a few months ago. It really is easier/cheaper to do a motor swap. Hell I picked up my 16v engine for $200.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts