VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can afford around a $9000 car. I like the idea of a TDI, good gas mileage,long lasting etc. Most of the cars that are in the price range have 100k+ miles. My question is, do I go with a TDI with 130k miles or a similar gas maybe turbo model with 60 or 70k?

I'm located in Tampa Florida, and I'm looking for a manual trans Jetta or maybe a GTI. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Derick

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Vr6 with high miles is no big deal -They can make it to 200k+ no problem -your electrical system will have gone full gremlin before the Vr6 is a worry. They are tough as hell and have a timing chain. They are a little bit more expensive for parts than a 1.8T

Not sure about a 1.8T longevity -someone else will need to chime in on that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about the diesel?

So what do you guys know about the TDI, I don't know what it is about it. Every time I think about it I want a diesel more and more. Financing/loan payment wise it will probably cost me an extra 40 bucks a month which I will likely make up in fuel economy over the month.

Anything I'm not considering here?

Thanks
Derick

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
So what do you guys know about the TDI, I don't know what it is about it. Every time I think about it I want a diesel more and more. Financing/loan payment wise it will probably cost me an extra 40 bucks a month which I will likely make up in fuel economy over the month.

Anything I'm not considering here?

Thanks
Derick
Well, TDIs are cool motors but they are diesel which sometimes is actually more expensive than gas just so you know. But most VW motors ask for Premium gas so I think you are usually always better off price wise with diesel.

Also, do not believe the people who tout the TDI fuel economy as 40 or 50 mpg or more. The reality (and every reputible website backs this) is their fuel economy for the average driver is somewhere between 30 and 40mpg.

A Vr6 varies between 20-27 mpg for a Golf/Jetta -Mine averages 25 on the nose. So there would be a savings with the TDI but not as much as if you were thinking you'd get 50mpg.

The 1.8T motor lands somewhere between the two in fuel economy as is a snappy fun motor (especially post 2002). 2.0T is even more of a blast.

I'm not sure about the reliabilty of a TDI other than it is a diesel motor which is inheritely a more reliable motor than a gas motor on average but then again it's a turbo too so?

If you are looking for economical and smart -I'd go TDI
for power, torque, and balls for a long time -I'd go Vr6
for fun and quick, with good fuel economy, and cheap available performance upgrades -I'd go 1.8T.

Thats all I got but there are alot of 1.8 guys and TDI guys on here who can take this further.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts