VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of looking at this car. I am a newby to volkswagons. It has a lot of miles but these cars are supposed to last. I would appreciate any advice and what to check if we go to look at it. Here is the link.
VW Golf VR6 GTI 2004

Please help me make an informed decission. Thanks for any help.

Ed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it doesn't matter now. He gave me a break on the price so I decided to go for it. The mileage was a concern. We met at the dealership where he bought it new, original owner. They printed out the complete history of the car. It has been regularly maintained with synthetic oil. New tires and battery, recent brake job with new rotors. Runs real nice. Drivers seat is not torn but the stitching has come loose. Should be able to get it re sewn for not too much. Biggest issue now is it only has one key/fob. Don't like what I see on getting a replacement key.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Has the timing chains been done? That's a pricey job if you can't DIY. Also with that mileage every suspension bushing will need replaced if it has not been. They usually dont last 100,000 miles. Just be prepared for some random clunks. The plus side is you got it from the original owner.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Fubar. I consider myself fairly competent. I just did a head gasket and head rebuilding on my Honda Civic. The Civic is a piece of cake compared to this. Just going through the owners manual. There is a lot of gadgets and systems to learn about. The multi function display seems like it may have some lights burnt out. Need to see if it is just turned down or there is some issues with the cluster. Have to read the book and see how everything works so I can tell if it is broken. LOL. Any ideas on the best way to get replacement keys? I think I have discovered all I have is the Valet key. I don't have the key code. I really don't want to go to the dealer if at all possible.

Thanks

Ed

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have an 01 Vr6 which is the 12v. But I have about 140k on mine and I haven't had any issues with the timing chain. They say that if you hear something that sounds like a jar of marbles right about idle then the plastic guards have broken off and the chain might not last much longer. I went to look at the post and it was deleted. Do you have any pictures of the car?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess the seller took it off Craigslist. I will get some pictures up soon. The car has thrown a code for P0016. Hope I didn't get taken. I will try a new sensor and see what happens. The car runs great with no noise in the timing area. Hope it is just the sensor. Any advice on how to pin point the problem without throwing parts at it.

Ed

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well it doesn't matter now. He gave me a break on the price so I decided to go for it. The mileage was a concern. We met at the dealership where he bought it new, original owner. They printed out the complete history of the car. It has been regularly maintained with synthetic oil. New tires and battery, recent brake job with new rotors. Runs real nice. Drivers seat is not torn but the stitching has come loose. Should be able to get it re sewn for not too much. Biggest issue now is it only has one key/fob. Don't like what I see on getting a replacement key.
I bought my 2000 Jetta w/one FOB. I since have replaced it and during the replacement I took the transponder (?) out and glued it to the key receptacle? now I just need a cut key w/o electronics in it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts