VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what brands of aftermarket brake pads Mk4 owners were having good experiences with. The rear pads on our `03 Golf will need to replaced soon. I've always had good luck with PBR(Deluxe organic) pads on my Volvo 240. They're not really "street racer" pads, but they suit our needs just fine. PBR offer an "Ultimate Ceramic" line of pads for VWs. Has anyone here used ceramic pads on a Mk4?

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I can recommend Mintex or EBC pads. I have installed Mintex pads on customer's cars before without any complaints afterwards. And one of the techs at my work runs EBC brake pads on his brother's Jetta...he got the green ones (street use).

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Im using ceramics on the rear right now. They are a bit noisier than the normal pads, but I looked at them the other day and they still look practically new after 15K. Sorry I don't know what brand they are, I had a friend source them for me and put them on.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
I can recommend Mintex or EBC pads. I have installed Mintex pads on customer's cars before without any complaints afterwards. And one of the techs at my work runs EBC brake pads on his brother's Jetta...he got the green ones (street use).
I've heard some horror stories about EBC Green Stuff pads warping brake rotors. A guy I work with went through a set of expensive slotted rotors rather quickly w/EBC pads on his `99 Beetle. Other folks have told me EBC pads work best w/EBC rotors.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Mintex are great pads, but don't expect anything other than OEM performance and lots less brake dust from them. Ferodo's Fast Road pad is much more aggressive and you will probably see as much of a reduction in brake fade with them as a lot of the big brake kits out there with mintex or oem pads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would recommend Mintex Red Box all the way. I am due for a new set as well and I have heard nothing but good about Mintex. I did hear that EBC will warp your rotors, but I heard the reason was because there is greater friction (stopping power) and because they heat the rotors quicker, they will stay warm, and when you pull your emergency brake up, (as most manual vehicle owners do) they will put pressure in one spot on the warm rotor, and cause a slight warping. But I don't know how true that is...just what I heard.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Oh yeah...forgot to say that my buddy used the EBC rotors with the pads...so you guys are probably right on that one. I guess I would have to go Mintex red box at this point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts