VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all
i want to add an aftermarket muffler to my 89 golf. I see a whole bunch of big ass mufflers for cheap...im sure they will sound cool as hell....but they are for pretty much every car...so how do they fit onto any specific car? i want one of these, but how will i attach it to my golf? the only mufflers ive found made specifically for VW's are like 200+$, and im so not about to spend that JUST on a MUFFLER. Help me out here guys....is there some conversion kit....some adapter or something? or am i going to have to weld this thing to my car?
thx in advance for any help.

·
Registered
777 Posts
you have to weld 80% of mufflers on....unless you get a cat-back systemand if your looking to spend less than 200 bones dont get a plain glasspack, those things sound horrible unless you put them on a big ass truck, flowmaster makes a good budget muffler, but they sound crappy on anything thats not a v-8 untill you break them in, i cant remember what sieries you put on 4-6 cyl cars, ask the guys at advanced or somthing... good luck dude! later!

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Borla would be a good bet. Sounds good, very good quality.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
check out remus. they make quality mufflers with a great sound!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Monza used to make some decent mufflers, but that was for air cooleds, so I don't know. They also used to be the spec exhaust for ferrari's, which were typicallly low displacement per cylinder and high revving, so you might check them out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeah the 3 days I had the borla on my 2.0 before I wrecked it sounded really nice. It probly would have been even better after ui broke it in.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
your best bet would search around and find the tone (of the exhaust) you want. then set an apointment with your local muffler shop, and have them put it on for you. It sounds expensive, but its not too bad.

·
Registered
777 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1point8T:
check out remus. they make quality mufflers with a great sound!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

he wants a BUDGET muffler! remus is NOT BUDGET
lol

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
ANYTHING but the 50$ ebay muffelers, please! Its better to save up and get a better muffler or catback. but if u insist, remus(not cheep lol) brullen, tt, blora, fox ... all good choices

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
just about any muffler can go onto just about any car. they are either welded or clamped onto the existing pipe. the only thing about ebay mufflers or unknow brands is that you dont know what they really sound like

1 - 11 of 11 Posts