VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The entire air filter assembly came missing from my 93 Volkswagen Jetta. I suspect the original owner took it out to add extra horsepower. I've been driving it for the past six months without any problems, hesitant to shell out $150 for a new air box and filter (college student budget). Should I be concerned and try to get an air box installed, or is it okay to keep driving without one?

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
You definately want to get some kind of filtration device on there...you don't just want random crap getting in your engine unchecked. Try and locate someone selling their stock airbox in the Trading Post here on VWF or head over to the vortex classifieds and see if someone is selling theirs.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:
You definately want to get some kind of filtration device on there...you don't just want random crap getting in your engine unchecked. Try and locate someone selling their stock airbox in the Trading Post here on VWF or head over to the vortex classifieds and see if someone is selling theirs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
agreed 100% go find one either in the vwf trading post, on the vortex, or your local junkyard. I'm sure you will find one that way. best.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Also, if you don't want to bother with a stock air box, there are a lot of companies that sell cold air intakes that will fit your car. They're easier to find as well, since they are brand new.

You can try Neuspeed, ABD, Injen...to name a few.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
If your car is a 2.0l, I have 2 spare airboxes. I could ship one to you for free (you pay shipping).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NO SHIT?! Yes, it's a 2.0 liter engine. I'll take your offer! E-mail me with payment details and I'll get that to you right away.

You are officially the most awesome person ever. Thank you.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Nothing but love here on the forums. Try finding that on whortex!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:
Also, if you don't want to bother with a stock air box, there are a lot of companies that sell cold air intakes that will fit your car. They're easier to find as well, since they are brand new.

You can try Neuspeed, ABD, Injen...to name a few.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is a "cold air intake", exactly?

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
As far as i know there is only one CAI sold for the mk3. Cold Air Intakes move the filter element down and out closer to the fresh air charage. The filter then is placed directly behind the bumper several inches off the ground. Cooler air = a denser charge = more hp. If your car is a 2.0l, I have 2 spare airboxes. I could ship one to you for free (you pay shipping).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts