VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Passat 1.8T and want to put a k&n air filter in it, but the guy i got it from says that the filter is under the turbocharger. Is this true? How can I get to it? Thanks!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Its not under the turbo, Its before it on the intake tube..

The air going to the turbo needs to be filtered. If not, all the stuff in the air will surely get in the turbo and the engine. You dont want to see a turbo launch a bearing at 100,000 rpm when its under full boost because of dirty air

·
Registered
423 Posts
The side of the turbo that has a plastic tube on it is the impeller side of the turbo. Follow the tube from the turbo to a box. That is the air box, which houses your air filter. Not sure on 1.8t but there probably is 2 or 4 spring clips and or screws to release the top of it. Remove the top and there is the filter. Hope this helps.

I would put a K/N filter in if i were you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I hear ya on the K&N Filter, the only reason I'm wondering is that I bought one and now want to put it in.

When I look at the airbox, it's right up against a heat shield that goes in between it and the engine. I only see one clip, but the problem is, there's so many hoses and wires connected to the top of the box that are very rigid, that I can't get to the filter itself. I really don't know what to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts